Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been talked about alot lately, but has anyone tried this product on their headers? Lots of colors to choose from( I like the Satin Black)
High Temp Paint

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Strangely enough, I have a can of this very brand within reach of my computer. (We have a wood stove.) I'd be curious to know how it works on the pipes. Actually, the Stove Bright web site suggests engine and engine manifolds as a possible use.
<BR>
<BR>Hmm... what about red, would that be too La Cucaracha? :-D

[ This message was edited by: Silverado57 on 2007-01-23 07:59 ]

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of this paint on a Speedmaster?

Do you need to use primer and/or use 4-0 steel wool on the pipes before painting them?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just purchased the STOVE BRIGHT in Satin Black, so I guess we'll see in about a week.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On 2007-01-23 14:49, SCCTrim wrote:
Any stove or bbq paint should do just fine. I would avoid header or engine paint as it will not withstand the temp's that bbq and stove paint will.
Well this paint is made for woodstoves up to 1200 degrees so I believe it will be ok. They make it in Flatblack and Satin black and I thought the Satin would look nice.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
The metallic black might be interesting.When I first painted my pipe,I used Duplicolor engine enamel in gloss black.I liked the way it looked,but it blistered up and burnt at the collector. The flat BBQ Rustoleum on there now is working good,but I`d like to gloss up the Thrux can a bit. I`ll give this stuff a try.Is it only available on-line? :???:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can someone jump in with what prep is required :???:

I am thinking that spray paint over chrome is not going to adhere too well............

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On 2007-01-24 10:26, Pict wrote:
Can someone jump in with what prep is required :???:

I am thinking that spray paint over chrome is not going to adhere too well............
They will need to be sanded to take the paint and then wipe them down good.

·
Registered
204 Posts
this seems like a good alternative to blue chrome and ceramic coating. get a good foundation paint job and just touch up the black when needed. seems like a lot less hassle and better looking. though i will add the black ceramic d n d's from newbonneville.com

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
you will need to kill the chrome's shine in order to let the paint key to the metal. Sandpaper is good for that.

note the paint is designed for ferrous metals (chrome and its substrate are non-ferrous) so there could be issues with it flaking over time.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
On 2007-01-23 08:55, Silverado57 wrote:
Does anyone have pictures of this paint on a Speedmaster?

Do you need to use primer and/or use 4-0 steel wool on the pipes before painting them?
See my reply above... and don't use primer, do follow the directions on the can.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts