Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Black Engine parts?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  VirtualNomad 
#1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum, but i've been reading for about 6 months. Great informative place for someone who's purchased that first bike. :)

Back at the end of last summer i finally saved up on my student wage and bought a salvaged bonnie black. got my parts and got her together, but i'm kind of a clean freak and i can't seem to get the black crinkle engine parts as clean and 'black' as i'd like them to be...suggestions??
thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
yessiree! I do the combo of what Pieman and davidc say. Works lovely, keeps the bike protected. It's good to do on a rainy evening out in the shed, keeps me at peace with the world. :D

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your Bonnie Black!

#5 ·
+1, +1 on the WD-40 wipedown. Wash first with some Easy Green, or other good cleaner, and the WD-40 is cheap, and very effective. Leaves a nice, semi-gloss finish, and we would like to think keeps any corrosion at bay.
Don't use any of the "wadding" stuff, as it leaves a whitish residue. Better for chrome parts.

Be sure to wipe off completely any oil you may accidently get on the exhaust headers, as it will turn brownish gold, and leave a nice fingerprint!

As Prop sez, this is great to do on a rainy day. Add some good tunes, Guinness, and some pretzels and you might become very philosophical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.