Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard a maybe price for a Bonnie Black Box.I'm still trying to get off the floor.Any one have the real price and any alternatives,eg 4cyl.Holden(forgot name) Bosch Black Box to R80GS BMW at 30% the cost. :???:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'm assuming (guessing also) that you are referring to the igniter--the computer ignition module for the bike?? If you are, I would recommend getting the stock one modified (rev limiter) by Jojje in Sweden. As soon as you are no longer a "Newbie" and can use the PM feature, send Dickbender a PM and he will tell you how to get the rev limiter modified on your stock igniter. IMHO, this will work MUCH better than any after market igniter.

If this is what you are talking about, I would recommend less restrictive silencers and airbox removal or modification to use K&N individual cone (pod) filters BEFORE you get the rev limiter changed on the igniter. After doing the above, you will NEED the rev limiter changed in order to get your shifts in before hitting the rev limiter. :-D

Larry

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
My dealers price for the new Triumph igniter was like $596.00 out the door. Is that what you thought?
Expensive in any event. Pro Com can be had for around $250 and I am told they work great and increase the red line by 1,000 rpm.Up to around 8,400.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If you shop around you can find one of the Procom units at a good price. I have one and it effectively removes the rev limiter--now it's necessary to monitor the tach to know if I'm in the red zone...well, sort of, if it's revving that high, you'll know. The bike seems to have more top end, which is reasonable as a result of advanced timing. No probs with detonation running on 91 octane.

Also, I swear the exhaust note is more aggressive, and the engine might buzz a little more, though, again, that might be because I'm twisting the go handle hard and letting 'er spin up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info,blokes.
Any ideas where to find a supplier for Procom?
The maybe price I got from a dealer was $1.500Aus. I don't doubt it as I just paid (due to some crazy circumstances)$285.04Aus. for a Triumph Ignition Coil.
Macca.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I got my Procom off of E-bay. Revs up to 8400 r.p.m. Little more torque at the low end (I can really feel it in second and third gear). Paid about $97.00 U.S. but like Redbird said, you need all the mods he suggested to receive the full benefits of additional r.p.m.'s.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Macca,
Do you need a box cos the old one is buggered or want higher rev limiter?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I bought mine from an eBay seller. I think it was called ATV Galaxy, i.e., it was not just some dude but an actual company with a physical location and stuff.

Prices on eBay hover in the vicinity of $100-$125 US. I'm happy with it. Seems to give the bike more snarl.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Darcy.
No problem with stock box.Dealer thought it could be the next step with my lack of spark.(it was the coil)Now I'm checking in case of further trouble.I have replaced boxes on Yamaha 600&R80GS in the past.Now its be prepared.
Macca.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've got a spare one but it's not really for sale. If you get stuck I may lend it to you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks heaps for the offer mate.Nice to know real people are still around. Every thing is AOK with the Bonnie now.Going like a new one.
Macca. :-D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts