Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a long shot here, but I will try anyways.

OK so I am riding in to work and traffic is backed up. So I split the lane (yes I am a bad boy) to express lane myself to the completely open turn lane. I get almost to the turn lane and I roll over something that I wasn't able to see and I hit a slight bump followed by a "pop, followed by a short hiss" come from my front wheel. Immeadiately I am thinking, great my time saver move just cost me more time and a new tire. Man I hate Chicago streets.

So anyways I make the turn and pull off at the first safe opprotunity. I put the bike up on its center stand to check the tire. Oddly the tire seems fine. No nails, screws, rocks, or other foriegn material in the tire. Then I looked at the front shock and I can not see and leaking oil or seat that may have come loose. I continued the rest of my ride to work and everything seemed normal. But I am a bit nervous that I am going to lean over and have a catastrophic failure and face surf the pavement.

So any ideas to what that could have been?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hit a movable object (pop!) (stone, piece of chain, cable, etc), then the object squirted out from under the tire and along the pavement (hiss)? I can't think of anything on the bike (other than a tire) that would make that combination of noises :confused:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Maybe you ran over a snake?

Seriously, maybe you ran over a soda can (or bottle). Look at the underside of the bike to see if you have anything sprayed on it. Or scales.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Probably a soda bottle, maybe in a little pot hole to keep it in place.

In re the snake, I once made a pass down my local drag strip on my nitrous burning, car tire Top Gas bike. Typical ho hum 8.20 @160 run. Turned off the track and waiting for my push back. Walked to the rear of the bike and found about 5' of snake all wrapped around the wheelie bar axle. Poor thang must have had a hell of a ride till it killed it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Like others have already said... I understand the "pop" as this happens a lot when a clod of dirt, rock, or other items get run over and squirts out from under the tire. The "hiss" is anyones guess.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you ran over a bottle of liquid, the liquid could have hit the exhaust headers and thus caused the hiss as it steamed off (e.g., throwing water in a hot pan).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey I figured it out!!!

OK, Sorry 'bout the late reply to everyone. I am impressed at the creativity of some of the solutions. :D Anyways, for those who care I figured it out.

So being the worrier that I am I couldn't just let things go and had to figure out what was wrong. Going through the front suspension again I was not able to find anything wrong, again. So I decide to pull the front fender off thinking maybe in my middle age the eyes might have an easier time looking for an issue with a greater area of the tire to see. So I loosen the bolts and low and behold there is a etched grove along the underside of the fender.

I must have rolled over something (causing the pop) that got caught in the tire tread long enough to scrape the fender (causing the short hissing sound) and that fell out before it went round again.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Same thing happened to me one time. Must have been a rock.

Made a really weird sound too! Would make your skin crawl!:BigEyes:

I could also feel it through the hand grips when it happened.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts