Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 804 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Most Sportbikes use fuel at about the same rate as a big old Oldsmobile, but the riders,like you, generally don't mind. So there isn't much incentive for manufacturers to improve fuel efficiency.
Perhaps because Triumph is a British company they have opted for decent fuel economy. Even their sportbikes run pretty light on fuel.
Personally, I think this is great. If that makes me into an antiquated rider, so be it.

Glen

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Most Sportbikes use fuel at about the same rate as a big old Oldsmobile, but the riders,like you, generally don't mind. So there isn't much incentive for manufacturers to improve fuel efficiency.
Perhaps because Triumph is a British company they have opted for decent fuel economy. Even their sportbikes run pretty light on fuel.
Personally, I think this is great. If that makes me into an antiquated rider, so be it.

Glen
So in other words, the problem is not with the bike, but with your preferred style of riding. I am glad we cleared that up. :D

It is hard to improve fuel economy when most litre bikes are producing anywhere from 197 to 207 hp, and heaps of torque.

·
Registered
977 Posts
There's no problem with my Sportbike, I just enjoy riding this R more. I like the way it Triumph designed and tuned it.
And I'm hopeful that there won't be as many speeding tickets as I've been getting on the Sportybike.

Glen

·
Banned
451 Posts
Although The Euro 3 emission requirements take presidence. Progress, what we gonna do?
Happy Trails
These bikes meet Euro 4 specs not Euro 3. Euro 4 are a damn sight harder to comply with than Euro 3 were...
Im making an educated guess that there is at least another 10hp in these Thruxton motors with just a good exhaust and remap.

At 60 mph, I would not be any higher than 4th gear.
So on a 200 mile trip on your freeways, interstates or whatever you call them, you would be cruising in 4Th gear??

Gotta say, that aint the way to treat a motor..

It is hard to improve fuel economy when most litre bikes are producing anywhere from 197 to 207 hp, and heaps of torque.
Heaps of TQ that peak at 11,000 rpm is a damn sight different from TQ that peaks at 4700rpm.....Two completely different animals and you just cant compare the two...

The original comparison here between the Thruxton and the 160hp Ducati is nothing less than ridiculous. For that matter, the Thruxton being compared to any high revving multi-cylinder bike is pointless..

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
So on a 200 mile trip on your freeways, interstates or whatever you call them, you would be cruising in 4Th gear??

Gotta say, that aint the way to treat a motor..

Most of the speed limits on interstates (outside of city limits) are posted at 70mph, with left lane traffic going at a speed of 80 mph.

So on a two hundred mile trip on interstates (which I would never do, we have more interesting secondary two lane roads with lower limits, but usually driven 10 over), I would be doing 80mph and in 6th gear. On my Yamaha 600cc with its lower final ratio, that would be around 7000 rpm. It redlines at 13,500.

Engine speed at 60 mph is not taxing on a modern sport bike.

Even my car, an RSX Type S, is turning 4000 rpm at 80mph. It redlines at 8100 rpm in 6th gear.OEM final drive ratio is 4.73:1.

Heaps of TQ that peak at 11,000 rpm is a damn sight different from TQ that peaks at 4700rpm.....Two completely different animals and you just cant compare the two...

I was not drawing a direct comparison between the two. I was simply disagreeing with some of worntorn's statements regarding litre bikes and street use.

·
Banned
451 Posts
Most of the speed limits on interstates (outside of city limits) are posted at 70mph, with left lane traffic going at a speed of 80 mph.

So on a two hundred mile trip on interstates (which I would never do, we have more interesting secondary two lane roads with lower limits, but usually driven 10 over), I would be doing 80mph and in 6th gear. On my Yamaha 600cc with its lower final ratio, that would be around 7000 rpm. It redlines at 13,500.

Engine speed at 60 mph is not taxing on a modern sport bike.

Even my car, an RSX Type S, is turning 4000 rpm at 80mph. It redlines at 8100 rpm in 6th gear.OEM final drive ratio is 4.73:1.
OK, maybe I used the wrong words here, I'll ask again.

If you were on a road cruising at 60mph and the speed limit was 60mph, what gear would you be in?

I ask because you said earlier that you would be in 4th gear at 60mph..
And the reason I ask is someone posted on this site a few days ago asking what gear he should be in at 60mph. He had asked that question because he had watched a video on youtube and the idiot riding the bike never got out of third gear and he thought that he might be ridding his bike in the wrong gear at 60mph.

IMO anyone ridding at a constant 60mph and sticking in 3rd gear on a five speed bike or in 4th gear on a 6 speed bike it doing it wrong!
Gears are there for a purpose, if you need a lower one you change gear, not sit there over revving the motor for no apparent reason...

·
Registered
230 Posts

Glen
Something is missing in your posts, the title of this thread is bitchin???

·
Registered
977 Posts
Sorry, I can't seem do it, it's just too nice.

I have noticed that the bug guts are really difficult to remove from the seat cover. How dare they build a bike like that!!

Is that more like it? :)

Glen

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
OK, maybe I used the wrong words here, I'll ask again.

If you were on a road cruising at 60mph and the speed limit was 60mph, what gear would you be in?
Thanks for putting constraints on me, that I can not follow. :D No one does the speed limit around here. If the limit is 60, people are doing 70. So at 70, I would be in 5th, 60 in 4th gear. This would be on a litre bike, with stock gearing. As my Yamaha and Ducati Monster have lowered gearing, I would be in a higher gear. However, I do not get to 6th gear unless I am doing around 80 mph.

As I said earlier, my Yamaha at 80 mph is turning 7000 rpm. The bike not even "breathing hard".

I ask because you said earlier that you would be in 4th gear at 60mph..
And the reason I ask is someone posted on this site a few days ago asking what gear he should be in at 60mph. He had asked that question because he had watched a video on youtube and the idiot riding the bike never got out of third gear and he thought that he might be ridding his bike in the wrong gear at 60mph.

IMO anyone ridding at a constant 60mph and sticking in 3rd gear on a five speed bike or in 4th gear on a 6 speed bike it doing it wrong!
Gears are there for a purpose, if you need a lower one you change gear, not sit there over revving the motor for no apparent reason...
But I am not over revving the motor, when the redline is near 14,000 rpm.

60 in 3rd is excessive, unless the bike has some tall gearing.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yep - I did set the title to "bitchin" because that's what us Frenchmen do: we love to constantly complain about everything :grin2:

Regading the gears on my Thruxton R, when overtaking someone at 60mph I would definitely be in 4th. However, @ the same stable speed on a highway I would be in 5th - no question about it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A big Ducati as in 1200 or 1300 ccs is something I have not sampled, but yeah the Thruxton (and a lot of other bikes) will come up short against that.

Glen
You should take one for a test ride, they are something else in terms of torque. In saying that I have a 1098 rather than the newer ones like the 1299 which I'm led to believe have less torque but more power overall. Lots of character and worth trying even if you're not buying...

·
Banned
451 Posts
Scotty UK, what do you think is so wrong about riding a 1000cc inline 4 at 60mph for say 20 miles?

This space intentionally left blank.
I'm not sure why you feel the need to say "1,000cc in line four"
Any bike whether it be a twin, four cylinder, tripple or a single for that matter at a constant 60mph should be in top gear....It wont labour the engine and it will give you better MPG and also less stress an wear on engine and transmission components.. If you need to drop a gear or two to accelerate it aint no big deal, that's what the gearbox is for...

I get the feeling you feel you you feel need to stay in the power band even when sitting at a steady speed....Which is fair enough, if that's what floats your boat, but I just drop a gear or two when and if I need too..

An engine is an engine whatever its in, car or bike. And I think you will find no matter what car you drive, auto or manual (stick shift to you), top gear is selected at 60mph unless undewr hard acceleration...

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I'm not sure why you feel the need to say "1,000cc in line four"
Any bike whether it be a twin, four cylinder, tripple or a single for that matter at a constant 60mph should be in top gear....It wont labour the engine and it will give you better MPG and also less stress an wear on engine and transmission components.. If you need to drop a gear or two to accelerate it aint no big deal, that's what the gearbox is for...

I get the feeling you feel you you feel need to stay in the power band even when sitting at a steady speed....Which is fair enough, if that's what floats your boat, but I just drop a gear or two when and if I need too..

An engine is an engine whatever its in, car or bike. And I think you will find no matter what car you drive, auto or manual (stick shift to you), top gear is selected at 60mph unless undewr hard acceleration...

Two things,

You are forgetting that this little discourse started with the discussion of 1000cc bikes being unsuitable for street use, which is bollocks. Driven properly, they are fine for street use and do not need to be shifted down for passing someone.

And,

based on the bikes that I own (up until I bought the sprint) have lowered final gearing. Now when they were stock, 60 in 4th was not an excessive burden on the motor.

I do not feel the need to stay in the power band, that is just what I prefer. Modern inline 4 motors will go at least 300,000 miles. If I happen to shorten the life by 10%, I am not going to worry about it. Nor am I worried about the increased fuel usage. If I were worried about fuel consumption, I would drive a Prius [spit].

No vehicle we own will see top gear until we are well under way, which is above 60'in the car. The fun of driving the RSX, is the rev happy motor. It is fun to wind it up, and to keep it wound up. 60 in 5th is no harder on the motor, than 80 in 6th.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Has anyone else had trouble seeing the guages and idiot lights? At night my MPH is super dim as are my revs except above redline. Also the idiot lights during the day are too dim to be seen. I know it's a long shot but I dont suppose there is some hidden brightness menu or something. I might call TNA and ask them what's up. It's a bit of a problem honestly, I cant even tell if my brights are on or not during the day.

·
Banned
451 Posts
Two things,

You are forgetting that this little discourse started with the discussion of 1000cc bikes being unsuitable for street use, which is bollocks. Driven properly, they are fine for street use and do not need to be shifted down for passing someone.

And,

based on the bikes that I own (up until I bought the sprint) have lowered final gearing. Now when they were stock, 60 in 4th was not an excessive burden on the motor.

I do not feel the need to stay in the power band, that is just what I prefer. Modern inline 4 motors will go at least 300,000 miles. If I happen to shorten the life by 10%, I am not going to worry about it. Nor am I worried about the increased fuel usage. If I were worried about fuel consumption, I would drive a Prius [spit].

No vehicle we own will see top gear until we are well under way, which is above 60'in the car. The fun of driving the RSX, is the rev happy motor. It is fun to wind it up, and to keep it wound up. 60 in 5th is no harder on the motor, than 80 in 6th.
I love your enthusiasm mate, I've been working on cars and bikes for 40 years and I disagree strongly with almost everything you say.......I think we'll leave it at that..:wink2:

41 - 60 of 804 Posts