Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Thought I'd post this up. So after much deliberation (believe me!!!) I decided to take a 1200 RS for a test ride and ended up buying one. Got a brand new one in black and I'm now about five weeks (900 miles now) into ownership. At first I was wondering whether I'd made the right decision as the usual new bike niggles and also obviously running it in. However now that's pretty much out of the way, the 600 mile service done and I can start riding it properly.....oh Lordy. I'm so glad I made the jump!!

A few mods done to it:

Evotech tail tide
Smaller mirrors
Fly screen
Carbon (rad covers, hugger, side and front lower cowls, heel plates, upper and lower chain guards - silencer and tank inserts on their way)
Rad guard
Pro-Race exhaust - makes a loverly, but not obnoxious sound if anyone is thinking about getting one

All in all couldn't be happier and my god does it fly!!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle brake

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I did a similar trade, my ‘16 R (high in miles) for a 1200 RS with 500mi so the break-in period “suffering” wasn’t as prolonged.
I’m now 2 months later at 2800 miles, as I commute on it hence the high miles hehe.
Luckily I got it with the first service done, recalls completed and firmware update done as well.
Nevertheless I had to re-torque the belly pan bolts, heel guard, rad cover, exhaust valve cover bolt (added thread lock), and engine covers bolts. And then again at 2800mi. No leaks so far but it is an item in the recall to re torque those bolts FYI. Generally where you see a Allen or a torx bolt check for lack of torque except if it’s got a touch of paint (means it’s got thread lock from factory, no need to touch)
I mean if you don’t want to deal with the ocasional checking you can add thread lock to all of them especially the exhaust valve cover since has been multiple reports of it coming undone and just flying off, or snapping off altogether at the base and then nothing we can do.
I’d be looking if the recall was performed or not, (any dealer can check that for you) cause the engine covers and sump are notorious “leakers” and if the firmware was updated that’s supposedly a no-charge from factory btw.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thanks for the heads up. Yup had the latest firmware etc put in when it had its 600 miles service and interesting what you say about the bolts as already found a couple of loose ones when I was swapping the carbon over. Will give her a once over on the weekend and probably add a touch of lock-tite for as many as I can.
Also didn’t know about the painted bolts! Thanks for that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice! Thanks for the pics. I was wondering what that EvoTech tail would look like...and now I need one. Damn!
Cheers! Yeah it certain cleans up the rear end. I know triumph tried to make the OEM a little bit better looking than most but in my view I still struggle with the big bit of metal at the back….and the weight as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts