Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not sure if its been mentioned, but the powdercoating on the Biltwells is quite shoddy. I swapped my stock bars last year for the Biltwells and now, less than a year later, I need to remove them and have the powdercoating redone by a local shop.

I like the DCC bars but I couldnt get the black ones to work on my Thruxton, so I actually gave them away. The areas where the controls attach were slightly bigger than the rest of the bar and they would not accept the controls. Conversely, the Biltwells were plug and play, but I did shorten them with a pipe cutter, 1.5" per side.

Either way, clubmans are a drastic improvement over the stock Thruxton bars. I dont find them to be any more or less stressful on my arms/wrists than the stock bars and the riding stance is much improved. Not sure I could go with clip ons; I like the yesteryear visual appeal of the clubmans, I think it meshes better with the bike's styling. With the D9, the whole bike has a much sleeker appearance.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I have my DCC speed bars in a box....just a little hesitant with swapping them out myslef. Last time I tried swapping out clip ons on my sportbike I ruined the accelerator and cost me twice as much to fix it. It seems people are doing it relatively easy.

They look amazing and the ride style is exactly what I am looking for on my bike. I might gain the guts to do it this weekend.
If you have even basic mechanical aptitude, you should be able to do this swap. Take your time and make sure to put a folded up towel on the tank in case you drop something.

In terms of the control perches, just remember that you are threading steel fasteners into aluminum housings and they need to be snugged up evenly/respectful of the softer aluminum threads. Less is more here. Same applies to the screws holding the plastic switchgear housings.

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm ordering the same DCC speed bars and want some bar end mirrors that fold out. The 7/8" bar end mirrors will not fit the 1" DCC speed bars?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the 1" DCC speed bars on my '13 thruxton with 7/8" mirrors. I got some tubing from my local Ace Hardware and fitted it over the stock expander. Worked like a charm and fit like a glove.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the 1" DCC speed bars on my '13 thruxton with 7/8" mirrors. I got some tubing from my local Ace Hardware and fitted it over the stock expander. Worked like a charm and fit like a glove.
Thanks, brother. Did you need to cut any of the tubing to a certain size?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think it's dependent on the size and type of expander. These had a 1/2"OD aluminum sleeve and a larger sleeve to fit the ID of the 7/8" bar. I fitted the 1/2"ID vinyl tubing over the whole length of the 1/2"OD sleeve and then gave it 1-2 wraps of electrical tape to make a good snug fit in the bar. I know, the tape idea sounds bad but it sticks, expands and helps keep the vinyl tubing from "squishing". There may be better ways but I haven't had any issues with this procedure.

·
Registered
74 Posts
great thread, thanks for all the pictures and info guys!

I ordered the DCC speed bar in raw and hoping to keep it that way. For those that kept it raw, any rust issues? Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
great thread, thanks for all the pictures and info guys!

I ordered the DCC speed bar in raw and hoping to keep it that way. For those that kept it raw, any rust issues? Thanks!
They are going to rust for sure. It's regular steel, not stainless.

I ordered the bars in raw before they offered them chromed and they rusted in the couple of months they sat around before I had them chrome plated.

If you want to keep the raw look, I'd suggest oiling or waxing them periodically to help prevent rusting.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts