Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a big guy 6'2 225 and am thinkinh about buying a 2012 storm. Nim worried ill look like a bear on a tricycle thouh. Any other big guys out there with t birds?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea ive sat on one before seat handlebars and controls are comfortable just was thinking bout it im also looking at the raider s which has a longer wheelbase just wanted to know if it reAlly made a dif

·
Registered
41 Posts
Perfect for big blokes.

Í am 6'3"and weigh 118 kg or about 260lbs and the bike is perfect for me. I have the T bars which I find suit me and my preferred seating position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea i dont know ive got a picture of me on it and a bunch of people have told me it looks too small for me. I dont really see it or care cause ive been in love with this bike for a while now but you dont really wanna hear that you know? Ill try and post the pic if i can.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Big foot here (one complete cow per boot). 6' 5" tall, 265 pounds and the Thunderbird 1600 fits me well. I do have the long haul SE seat and footboards. This is a great bike for folks across a very large range of sizes, it is amazing to me this bike fits so many people. Plenty of power to haul you around with ease, and a reasonable price for the bike. Glad I bought the Thunderbird and enjoying it to no end.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If you go to http://cycle-ergo.com/, you can plug in your height and other measurements and then choose from a number of bikes to see how you would fit on them. The site gives you an option to compare bike to bike with just a flip of the scroll wheel.

I took the liberty of putting in your weight (had to guess on your inseam...put 33 inches in), and your knee angle on the Storm is 108 degrees, while on the Raider it's 128 degrees. That's a pretty significant difference. The bend of your arm is also considerably better/straighter on the Raider. Give the site a try.

I was all set to buy a Thunderbird in the spring (and probably still will), but this site really gave me pause. I'm coming from a Vulcan 900 Custom, and was surprised to see the Thunderbird was smaller (for your size, it's a 117 degree knee bend). At 6'1" myself, I was hoping for a more stretched-out posture, not less, for my next bike. If I buy a Thunderbird next year, it'll be in spite of the rider ergonomics, not because of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your input! At-home-daddy wow that site really kind of puts it in perspective. thats a great tool and there really is a difference

·
Registered
171 Posts
My mate is 6 foot he weighs in around 250 lb , When he rode my t bird in all honesty it looked like it was , stuck up his arse with 2 wheels protruding ,

His Rocket suits him to the ground , , Its a big bike suited for a big man , .

But it handles just has well has the t bird , and me being a 5'8" short arse i don't even have problems handling it ,once i got used to the size , but for a big fella like yourself you will find the rocket very comfortable

·
Registered
419 Posts
From one extreme to another .... I'm 5'5" and it fits. The sidestand is a bit of a reach.
It's a testament to how well the bike is designed that it fits so many people.

·
Registered
108 Posts
6'4" 215 lbs 34" inseam. T-bird fits me fine-I'm very comfortable on it. The riding position is more upright than it was on my Super Glide, but after about two rides in feels quite natural.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
If you go to http://cycle-ergo.com/, you can plug in your height and other measurements and then choose from a number of bikes to see how you would fit on them. The site gives you an option to compare bike to bike with just a flip of the scroll wheel.

I took the liberty of putting in your weight (had to guess on your inseam...put 33 inches in), and your knee angle on the Storm is 108 degrees, while on the Raider it's 128 degrees. That's a pretty significant difference. The bend of your arm is also considerably better/straighter on the Raider. Give the site a try.

I was all set to buy a Thunderbird in the spring (and probably still will), but this site really gave me pause. I'm coming from a Vulcan 900 Custom, and was surprised to see the Thunderbird was smaller (for your size, it's a 117 degree knee bend). At 6'1" myself, I was hoping for a more stretched-out posture, not less, for my next bike. If I buy a Thunderbird next year, it'll be in spite of the rider ergonomics, not because of it.

I know this is a subjective question, but what do you suggest is the "ideal" ergonomics for a cruiser?
I'm coming from the world of standard bikes and sport bikes, so I'm used to a very different feel. I've ridden on a HD road king classic with foot boards and know that I didn't like a 90 degree knee bend. It felt cramped for me. I constantly felt like I needed to stretch out me feet (was thankful for the highway pegs). I'm 6'-2", 180 with 34" inseam. The site gives me a 104 degree knee bend. The Thunderbird feels comfortable when I've tested it, but I could imagine it would be nice to move the bars and pegs forward a bit if that's possible.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I know this is a subjective question, but what do you suggest is the "ideal" ergonomics for a cruiser?
I don't think there is an ideal...as you suggest, it's subjective according to the preferences of the rider. My Vulcan 900 Custom is 108 degrees knee bend for me, while the Thunderbird is 104 degrees for me. For me, that's not an ideal setup, because ideal for me means more room for my legs to stretch, not less...that's what I was hoping for in my next bike (that, and more power...and, I had hoped, a Triumph badge). Interestingly, the Triumph America is 120 for me, and the Speedmaster is 122. Why they decided to scrunch the ergos for the Thunderbird, I've no idea...but because they did so, it makes the ergonomics -- for me -- less than ideal.

Frankly, a Thunderbird with the Speedmaster ergos that allow for a 122-degree knee bend for me would be my ideal. Unfortunately, that's not the bike that Triumph produced.

I'm still hooked on the idea of the Thunderbird for reasons other than ergonomics, but the issue has made my 2012 purchase less certain than before.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Nobody can tell you how a bike feels for you, especially not off a website (in my opinion).

A while back I was at the gym and a buddy of mine who is exactly the same height as me pointed out how much higher his hip bones are. The guy has freaky gazelle legs and a very short torso ... I have a longer torso and shorter legs.

A bike he finds comfortable might feel awful to me, and vice versa.

Best thing to do is go and take one for a good, long ride at your local dealer. Triumph is very accommodating that way at the dealerships around here.

I'm 6'2" and 210 lbs. The Tbird is the best feeling bike I've ever been on. I did a 500km trip this summer in one day, and just could have kept riding. Thats with a stock seat ... so I have no complaints. A friend of mine who is the same size/weight as me really prefers his Kawi Nomad over the Tbird. His bike gives me numb butt and a sore back in 20 minutes.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Hi there,

I'm 6'6" and love the bird. I would like slightly further forward foot controls however it's no big deal.

Regards

J.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts