Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a little occurance today that I'd like to share with all of you. I pulled into my driveway, motored between my wife's truck and the house to the back patio, turning toward the trash cans to back my bike onto the back patio. I stalled the motor. :eek:
Shame on me!
Went to restart the bike, in first gear, pulled in the clutch, hit the starter button, she turned about a half a revolution, then nothing.

So... Let's play a little game to see how well we troubleshoot this problem. :)

Bike will not start.
Ignition on:
No instrument lights. No fuel pump. No Headlamps. No Horn

Ignition in park mode:
Center parking lamp is on.

Ignition in Off:
clock is at 1:00 and "ticking"

Ignition On:
clock goes out.

All fuses are good.

Charging system and battery, up to this point have been excellent, troublefree. She always charges, and always starts. Only used a battery tender to keep her topped off in the winter months.

12.71 VDC at the battery.

Let's play. What do you think it is?

:D

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check that your kill switch is in the run position ????
Good one. Kill switch is in the run position. Still nothing.

What else?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Loose battery connection?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Loose battery connection?
We have a winner!
The positive battery post cracked, so the terminal rings couldn't be fully tightened up.
I had to get a new battery :(

Thanks for playing :D

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Battery terminal would have been my guess.

So to add to the story - I rode all through the Rockies last week putting on 2800kms of pure Canadian mtn goodness with all its twists and turns. One of the people I road into British Columbia with me did the full ride from Edmonton to Nelson, BC (1000kms) with no problems.

We start out on Saturday to go do the Selkirk loop and 50kms into it bike stops. No power, no lights, nothing. I pull out my tool kit and pop off the fuse lid and check fuses.... nothing. All good. Ok so off comes the battery box lid and low and behold the negative terminal bolt is mega loose, I mean hanging there.

I ask did you have the terminal off, replied yes a few days ago. I try to tighten it to no luck. I pull the bolt out just see that the owner cross threaded it super bad. Luckily it was the bolts threads and nut the nuts threads that got buggered up. With the help of a Leatherman tool file, a little engine oil and a set of pliers to hold the nut we got it uncross threaded and bolted up and away we went.

The odd thing is how long she went with a loose battery terminal. So moral of the story, always check your battery terminals are nice and tight and that the lead has a nice shiny gleam to it. It can bite you in the butt in the worst places.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was so very lucky that mine failed at home. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts