Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode my bike to work today (09 D675 with 1200 miles on it). It ran great like always. I went to start it after work and all it would do was click. Keep in mind that there was only about 2 hours between me not riding it. The battery is fine. I was able to get it started by push starting it. Rode it 30 miles home, no engine check lights or low oil (I checked it). Ran fine all the way home. I kill the bike by turning the key and it will just make the clicking noise again and the oil light goes off when I try turning it over but the check engine light stays on. It did get wet on the ride to work today so I'm afraid the water somehow damaged it... should i just take it to a dealership or is there a way to narrow it down to a single source?
Thanks for all your help.
Corey

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Most likely a battery issue. The batteries on these bikes are tiny and if the dealership didn't charge it correctly from the get go, that could be causing your problems.

I would ring up the dealer and make them fix it under warranty. A brand new bike should not be treating you that way and they should fix it with no issues...

TripleThreat

·
Registered
198 Posts
Had exactly the same trouble with my Scrambler 1 week ago, nearly same milage as you and just given it a wash, same click you had so called the RAC and they started it so i took it to the dealership and got a Daytona for the day. Short trips probably dont help and Datatool alarm drains the battery fast appartently so buying a charger and using once each month should keep on top of things.Should've bought Duracell :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got a brand new Scrambler and it only has 75 miles on it. I am new to biking and am afraid I really messed something up!
This morning I didn't start the bike properly (shifted from neutral into 1st without the clutch like a newb) and the engine stalled like normal. When I went through the start up process again, all I got was the electric starter clicking/engages but no engine turnover at all. This persisted for a couple more starts and today after work still no change. Any ideas on the problem??

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
Considering it's a Scrambler, not a Daytona 675, the guys in the twins forums might be a bit more helpful. But, my guess is you probably still have it in gear or something. Check to make sure it's in neutral, the sidestand is up, etc. Stalling it like you did shouldn't have any effect upon the electrical system unless you sheared off something in the transmission. It's highly unlikely, so I suspect one of the safety switches is refusing to let you start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Will,
Thanks for the quick reply! I will ask around the twins forum. I just started here as the symptoms sounded the same.
A safety switch refusal may be a good place to start. However, I have double checked (and so has a friend that knows more than I do) the side stand is up, bike is in neutral, clutch pulled in. Maybe the sidestand switch needs to be disabled?

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
No. You shouldn't have to disable anything. Maybe there's a connection problem somewhere. Check to make sure everything's plugged in like it should be.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bloodycow, as far as your bike not starting, i went through the same ordeal when i bought my bike. It was the dealer not charging the battery all the way. Those batteries are so small that they don't produce much juice. They usually need to be charged for about a day to get a full charge in them before running the bike and dealers are notorious for not doing this. It took about a month of riding my bike to get the alternator to charge it but if you can afford to, hook it up to a battery charger and let it go for about a day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts