Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking and learning all I can about the T100 through you all and finally got the opportunity to demo one as well as the Scrambler and an HD 1200R. After riding all three I decided to get a Scrambler. I liked the riding position and the sound of the pipes. They had a sound that reminded me of a two stroke almost. They kind of crackled and were loud enough that I probably wouldn't need to change them. I read on the list that it fires at 270 degrees verses 360 for the T100. What does this mean? Would it account for the different sound from the pipes? Hoping Brent will start carrying Scrambler specific items.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Welcome Clint-

Be careful what you wish for; your pocketbook may rue the day you hoped for Scrambler add ons from Brent.

:wink:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Eastwood,

The 360 and 270 refers to the position of the crank pins in relationship to one another and therefore when the pistons are going up and down in relation to one another. Check this site out, they have a cool drawing in motion of various cylinder and crank configurations. The 270 twin is next to last on the bottom. They do not have a 360 twin but picture both pistons going up and down at the same time. It would look like the zero degree config which is the last one but with two pistons. My guess is the 360 would fire more evenly but produce more "shaking"forces, the 270 fires less evenly but is better balanced. Either design requires counter balancers in the engine to keep it from jumping out of the frame.

Cyl / crank configurations

[ This message was edited by: vertwrks on 2006-03-07 20:31 ]

C

·
0 Posts
Eastwood,
Congrats on the Scrambler! Mine arrived last week, she's at the dealers getting accessories. You hit the nail on the head about that crackling pipe sound, great isn't it! AND you're the first one that's mentioned that here at the tr'net.
For those that haven't seen a Scrambler in person yet, when I was at the dealer's last week they happened to have an early 70's bonnie for sale ( I used to have one of those) and the riding position felt REAL similar on the Scrambler to me. There was a post the other day about what is/ isn't a Bonneville- IMO (Based on riding old Triumph's on twisty british country roads with high hedgerows!) you can't buy a bike with any more Bonneville feel to it than the new Scrambler.
If you get a chance- would love to hear more of bike week!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks vertwrks for the interesting site.

Mike, I must wait until next March to purchase a Scrambler,I made a deal with the dev er wife that I would finish a staircase in the house. Bike Week is still in full swing. Been down there twice and will go again the last day. There has been six deaths that I'm aware of already, all verses cars. Very unfortunate. You can't be too careful.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts