Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate to admit it but bike tipped over on it's left as the kickstand wasn't fully down. It seemed to just hit the handlebar and I didn't see a single other scratch anywhere. Started up fine but then I went to shift and it won't shift out of first.

The clutch works but it just won't go into any other gear. Upon closer inspection I did see scuff marks on the shifter lever near the footpeg. Is there anything I can check or anybody have a solution? I'm fairly mechanical but just really hoping I didn't damage anything major.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
i had a similar issue with my month old thrux 1200 just last week so i feel your pain. at first the bike wouldn't come out first. after crawling in first for a short time i was able to upshift by playing around with shifter at different angles with my foot. I had a lot of trouble with every shift all the way home. i noticed a lot of play in the shifter and linkage so i made a few adjustments in the garage. after that 1 N 2 were solid but the rest of the upshifts were very tricky. took it to the dealer fearing internal damage but luckily nothing was wrong. the dealer made some more adjustments and said everything is fine now. i'll pick it up on tuesday, as i'm still waiting on a new clutch lever, and find out for myself

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hate to admit it but bike tipped over on it's left as the kickstand wasn't fully down. It seemed to just hit the handlebar and I didn't see a single other scratch anywhere. Started up fine but then I went to shift and it won't shift out of first.

The clutch works but it just won't go into any other gear. Upon closer inspection I did see scuff marks on the shifter lever near the footpeg. Is there anything I can check or anybody have a solution? I'm fairly mechanical but just really hoping I didn't damage anything major.
It is hard to tell from your picture's angle but it is likely you bent the shifter and/or the linkage. Take both off and if the shifter is bent in then carefully try to bend it back in a vise or by standing on it. If you can straighten it out, then just replace and try to shift. If the linkage isn't bent then you are okay with that. If it is, it has to be replaced.
Bikebandit.com is best for parts. Just click OEM and search for the bike.
Don't ask how I know this ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts