Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new (to me) scooter out of the garage for the first time to just warm it up (no plates or insurance). Let it warm up and the gave the throttle a little blip. It stumbled coming off idle. I then took a quick run up the street (dead end) to see what would happen. It stumbles off idle again.

It seems that it stumbles until about 2500 RPM, and then smooths out. Now I realize it is not the same injection system as on my Ducati (which performs perfectly), but it seems as if it should be better than it is.

Bike is not even broken in with only 400 miles on it, but that should not matter.

Could this be a mapping issue or is it normal?

Temp was about 55 degrees.

Thoughts?

*** PROBLEM FIXED*** Well, my first thought was spark, so that's what I checked. Plugs were toast. Put new plugs in, started up and bike ran worse. That can't be say's I. After some thought, I take it back apart, open the airbox cover , and discover I put the filter in upside down. STUPID WRENCH GUY!!! Put it back together the proper way, let it warm up and zipped up and down the road like a brand new bike should run.

[ This message was edited by: jh225 on 2006-11-11 15:43 ]

·
Registered
336 Posts
55 degrees is pretty cold. I live in So Cal.... :)

When you say you let the bike "warm up" how many bars were showing on the display?

Did you buy this bike new?

Stock pipes?

Stock tune?

JOHN

·
Registered
684 Posts
It's not normal for the bike to stumble, except for maybe 30 seconds after it's started from cold. I think it could be a mapping problem, particularly if the exhaust has been changed, but you're still running the stock tune. What kind of exhaust are you running? What tune?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stock tune, stock bike...only 400 miles

3 bars showing before I took off, more when I came back, and it still stumbled just revving it

·
Registered
684 Posts
Something's not right. Since it's an '05 with 400 miles, I'm guessing it sat unused for an extended period of time before you got it. I'd try running some good fuel system cleaner through it, in case you have some varnish build-up from old fuel. If it's not running right after a tank or two's treatment with that, I'd take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Must agree with everyone here so far. Could be a fuel quality issue, or could be a FI map issue. You should have the TOR tune anyway, so take it to the dealer and get that changed. Then report back.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yep......something isn't right. It was plenty warm for sure....

Crashmasterd, are you recommending that he get the TORs tune with the stock pipes???

Does it provide a performance improvement without any backfiring or stuttering, etc? I wouldn't have thought.....

I would have guessed more harm then good, but maybe I am wrong?

JOHN

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
My 06 essentially did the same thing and was really hard to ride in slow turns etc. because of the stumble and abruptness coming off idle-either take it to the dealer and get it remapped/adjusted or buy a Tune Boy and do it yourself(this is the best alternative although expensive unless you are lucky and have a buddy that has one and you can buy the code). Hard starting -do not open the throttle!

I really got so pissed off I was ready to trade it in on a Jap bike!!

It took 2 trips to the dealer to get it to start! Then the other stuff was even more fun.
I had TORS on it from new. You really need a good mechanic that knows how to adjust the cables AND the computer together to solve this problem IMHO. The main throttle cable adjust is done under the tank at the FI controls. The starting issue was never totally resolved until the Tune Boy was installed. Runs like stink now with other mods to exhaust and filter and no driveability issues Good luck. Wayne McDonald at TuneBoy has the set ups to plug into just about any set up you can configure. Keep working.

[ This message was edited by: HiVel on 2006-11-10 20:43 ]

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2006-11-10 19:45, graciejohn2 wrote:
Yep......something isn't right. It was plenty warm for sure....

Crashmasterd, are you recommending that he get the TORs tune with the stock pipes???

Does it provide a performance improvement without any backfiring or stuttering, etc? I wouldn't have thought.....

I would have guessed more harm then good, but maybe I am wrong?

JOHN
The TOR tune probably won't give you any increased performance, but it should cut down on the backfiring and cure your stumble. It also should work fine with the factory silencers since all it really does is clean up the fuel curve. The stock fuel curve is meant to meet strict emissions, and doesn't work particularly well. The TOR tune is the Off Road tune, and therefore doesn't have to meet these restrictions. It shouldn't be necessary to have the TOR silencers to use the TOR tune.

Of course as mentioned, Tuneboy and one of Wayne's Tunes would make a significant difference. Probably 20100 for you.

Good luck

[ This message was edited by: crashmasterd on 2006-11-10 21:10 ]

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't think the TOR tune is a solution with the stock cans. It ads fuel to the system to compensate for the freer flowing cans. My bike runs a bit rich with the stock cans. I don't think he's warming it up enough. Wait untill 5 bars are showing then ride off. See if this helps. If not, take it to the dealer, it should still be under warranty.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Jeez, just ride the flucking snot outta it for a few days. Should clear up. My dick stumbled outta the stable the first time, til gladys rode me like the 50-1 shot in the 3.30 at ascot. :-D

Hope this helped :razz:

[ This message was edited by: Limey on 2006-11-11 00:30 ]

·
Registered
489 Posts
On 2006-11-10 17:57, jh225 wrote:
Took my new (to me) scooter out of the garage for the first time to just warm it up (no plates or insurance). Let it warm up and the gave the throttle a little blip. It stumbled coming off idle. I then took a quick run up the street (dead end) to see what would happen. It stumbles off idle again.

It seems that it stumbles until about 2500 RPM, and then smooths out. Now I realize it is not the same injection system as on my Ducati (which performs perfectly), but it seems as if it should be better than it is.

Bike is not even broken in with only 400 miles on it, but that should not matter.

Could this be a mapping issue or is it normal?

Temp was about 55 degrees.

Thoughts?
jh225 I'm 99.9% sure i know what your problem is. I had exactly the same problem as you and as HiVel. It's simple to fix and prevent from happening again.

Your spark plugs are malfunctioning because of water in your spark plug wells. The water gets in there from rain or when you wash the bike and it can't escape. A simple way of checking with out pulling the tank off is to see if you have any brown rust dust around the two outer plug caps.

If this bike is not new to you then you have no knowledge of what conditions the previous owner rode it in or if he liked blasting water at the engine when washing it.

My problem was instantly fixed when my service guy changed over the plugs at the 10k service, he then sealed up around the caps with silicone to stop it happening again.

When he showed me my old plugs i was surprised the bike started at all, the state they were in.

I am so certain what I've just said will solve your problem that if it doesn't I will run down my street buck naked and post a pic on the site as proof. (what have I just said) :-D You better tell the truth...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On 2006-11-11 03:59, Sparti wrote:
I'm 99.9% sure i know what your problem is. I had exactly the same problem as you and as HiVel. It's simple to fix and prevent from happening again.

Your spark plugs are malfunctioning because of water in your spark plug wells. The water gets in there from rain or when you wash the bike and it can't escape. A simple way of checking with out pulling the tank off is to see if you have any brown rust dust around the two outer plug caps.

If this bike is not new to you then you have no knowledge of what conditions the previous owner rode it in or if he liked blasting water at the engine when washing it.

My problem was instantly fixed when my service guy changed over the plugs at the 10k service, he then sealed up around the caps with silicone to stop it happening again.

When he showed me my old plugs i was surprised the bike started at all, the state they were in.

I am so certain what I've just said will solve your problem that if it doesn't I will run down my street buck naked and post a pic on the site as proof. (what have I just said) :-D You better tell the truth...
Well, the first thing I was going to do today was to check the plugs, so you may or may not have to run naked through the streets.......I'll let you know.

All the other ideas are good too, as I figure it has to be either fuel or spark. I don't think the TOR tune will work, as it will dump even more fuel in. Stock pipes are too restrictive to add even more fuel.

****Is there an online parts/assembly manual somewhere I could pull up to see how it all comes apart? ******

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
This thread (click me) may be of some use to you for checking the spark plugs. They are correct and this may indeed be the issue. It's happened to many of us, myself included.

Don't discount the TOR tune though. It doesn't just "add fuel". It changes the fuel curve in a number of places: some places leaner, some places richer. It fixes the backfiring issue which means it's making things leaner. The TOR silencers don't breath particularly better than the factory silencers. They just don't have the internal catalytic converter and are somewhat louder.

Oh, and Limey? I'm sorry to hear about your dick stumble, but please don't share so much. I really didn't need to know that your pet name for Cheap was "Gladys".

[ This message was edited by: crashmasterd on 2006-11-11 10:16 ]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Popping and backfiring is usually a symptom of too lean. They do this because of the SAI. It is injecting air into the header on decel (more air means lean) and makes the bike pop. Just tape over the sai hole at the front of the airbox if you want to do away with the popping on decel.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I bought my '06 with just over 1K on it and it always seem to stumble (well more hesitate) when first taking off no matter how warm the motor was. When I installed the TORS and the tune, it went away.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Spark plugs a good idea but not the total answer-I had two free sets installed by the dealer to try to remedy the starting /stagger problem-did not fix it but did help a little.
REALLY , JUST DO AS LIMEY SAYS.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
On 2006-11-11 00:29, Limey wrote:
Jeez, just ride the flucking snot outta it for a few days. Should clear up. My dick stumbled outta the stable the first time, til gladys rode me like the 50-1 shot in the 3.30 at ascot. :-D

Hope this helped :razz:
WHO IS GLADYS? A horse??You animal!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, it's FUBAR.

Pulled the plugs and they were VERY fouled. Got new plugs, installed, and started it up.

Now the Orange engine light comes on, it idles at 900RPM, and dies out. Something is definitely wrong with the fuel system/mapping/injectors, etc.

I guess the next step is the dealers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts