Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

Registered
To be honest I don't know, I'm going back some 30 years to when things like this were drummed into me and I never asked why anything. This was among other no-no's on your test such as wearing tinted visors or failing to do the 'life saver'. This was part of my instructor's course which I carried out after that in robotic fashion. It wasn't until some years later that I could see any sense or logic in some of it.

Another thing which is bugging me now, is the fact that from this year your car or bike will fail its MOT if you have LED headlamp bulb(s). I can understand that LED headlamps can blind oncoming traffic, what I don't understand is that vehicle manufacturers fit these things at the factory, and the EU, where our MOT regulations come from, are at the same time phasing out all other types of bulb.
Fair enough; there are some odd rules about. For sure most dark visors are illegal (so your vision is impaired) and not doing a life saver is simply suicide, but I鈥檓 not sure I can see why using the kill switch to turn off the bike has anything to do with the test.. .. it鈥檚 funny what creeps into legislation..

Have a good one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
it鈥檚 funny what creeps into legislation..
I don't think it is in legislation tbh. Most of the stuff we were told to teach the students was based on the highway code obviously, but there were lots of things that won't be found in there or legislation such as how to sit on the bike when not moving. These things, I was told, are observations made by examiners at the test centre and everything has to go by their preferences. I don't know what its like now, but at that time I thought that the examiners had a large amount of discretion. They would not need legislation to give out minor points.

Registered
Ok, what does it mean. :unsure:
The life saver is a final glance over the shoulder before committing to a manoeuvre . This is in addition to the normal rear observations.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts