Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I dropped my beautiful Thruxton for the first time. This noobie mistake bent the gearchange pedal, which also in turn, bent the gear rod.

I ordered the parts online and replaced them the other day. Everything looks good, the bike starts up fine, but when I pop it into first, the bike just stalls. I also noticed that when I have the clutch pulled in, and roll the bike around there's a slight grinding noise.

NO CLUE what's happening. From what I read, I think it could be that the plates are stuck :confused: I feel like a complete idiot because the bike has less than 200 miles on it, and I'm going to have to bring it in for my stupid mistake.

Any insight you guys may have would be MUCH appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What year is your bike? My 2004 Bonnie has a safety switch that kills the motor if you shift into first with the side stand down. Did you drop the bike on that side and maybe bend that sensor? The bike would then start in neutral but "sense" the stand is down when you try to shift and ride off. I've never looked for that safery switch so I can't help you locate it; probably a simple pressure switch.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pulling up the side stand gets my vote. If that doesn't fix it, maybe the side stand switch is broken or somehow got disconnected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys rock! That was exactly it. I think i was so paranoid about "breaking" my bike that I didn't see the obvious. I was trying to shift with the side stand down. (if there were an emoticon of a guy shooting himself in the head... it'd be right here)

Thanks for saving me the embarrassment and money from bringing it in!

·
Registered
59 Posts
So, no test drive?

You guys rock! That was exactly it. I think i was so paranoid about "breaking" my bike that I didn't see the obvious. I was trying to shift with the side stand down. (if there were an emoticon of a guy shooting himself in the head... it'd be right here)

Thanks for saving me the embarrassment and money from bringing it in!

Wait... So when you were describing the problem (stalling when you change gears), you didn't actually drive anywhere? You just sat the bike in your driveway and tried switching gears with the bike sitting on the kickstand? Your walk-thru of the problem made it seem like you were driving the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts