Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Bike Security?

5K views 37 replies 32 participants last post by  koifarm 
#1 ·
Had my t100 for less than a week. I don't have access to a garage, so every morning I walk outside to head to work I hope that it's still there. So, my question is if there are security measures that I can take other than the steering lock to protect my bike? I live in a gated apartment complex in a nice area of town, but it still makes me nervous...considering sleeping outside...

#5 ·
security

Disc lock/alarm for both tires.
Kryptonite cable locks front and back tires and through frame.
Trained attack rottwieler leashed to the frame.
+1 on the "shelter" thingy, out of sight, out of mind.
Do you have covered parking? If so, is there a place where you can chain the bike to, like a steel post?
I would certainly get some case-hardened chain and a big, nasty padlock and frame tie it to something unmoveable.
Pull the bike into your apartment if possible. Just be careful you don't bottom out the frame on the door sealing strips, landlords take a dim view of this. Don't ask me how I know.
Park within view of your apartment and within hearing distance for the alarms.
Hopefully you at least have a cover for the bike, again, out of sight....
Good luck....
Bill

#7 ·
Security

I lock my Bonneville Black on the street in front of my house in center city philadelphia. I use a kryptonite like as think as my forearm, and anchor it to an steel anchor. I place bear traps on both sides of the bike and I have a large cargo net tied to a trip wire suspended directly above the bike.

#9 ·
I lock my Bonneville Black on the street in front of my house in center city philadelphia. I use a kryptonite like as think as my forearm, and anchor it to an steel anchor. I place bear traps on both sides of the bike and I have a large cargo net tied to a trip wire suspended directly above the bike.
The center of Philly is a little vague for me - could you please give me the exact address? :D

#8 ·
I'd put my money on an alarm (unless they're serious, there's gonna be a lot of noise!) and a chain attached to something REAL heavy, whether that's a lamp-post or a ground anchor or something! (Obviously you don't buy the lamp post, that normally comes with the street!:) )
If it's not weighed down it'd only take 2 big guys with a van (or 4 little guys as I have found out firsthand!)

#19 · (Edited)
I'd put my money on an alarm (unless they're serious, there's gonna be a lot of noise!) and a chain attached to something REAL heavy, whether that's a lamp-post or a ground anchor or something! (Obviously you don't buy the lamp post, that normally comes with the street!:) )
If it's not weighed down it'd only take 2 big guys with a van (or 4 little guys as I have found out firsthand!)[/QUOTE

I Agree and possibly a bike cover would not be a bad idea, steel builders sling is also a good alternative to chain you cant cut that stuff with bolt cutters and if you know some one on a building site its cheap..

ps never liked disc locks (lousy memory) neuro that reminder cable great idea..

#10 ·
i cover mine with a generic cover. i use a disc lock *every* time i leave it alone. i'll start using the fork lock as soon as i get a key made. i'm considering one of those lever lock thingys that some posted a while back. i like the idea of a ground anchor, too, never thought about that. . . if i ever have a permanent spot outside i'll consider that, too.

it's all about layering anti-theft devices. a disc and fork lock is gonna be a serious deterrent. . . pretty much all i worry about with that is three big dudes pulling up in a box truck and lifting the bike in. you'd *really* have to want that bike in that situation.

#14 · (Edited)
this is the disc lock that i have. i looks like a stapler and has a pin that goes through one of the holes in your front disc. a word of advice. . . make sure you get an "reminder" cable (the second picture) that goes from the disc to the front handlebar so you don't forget about the disc lock once and crush your front caliper.

#13 ·
Put lo-jack on my bonnie; that has always helped with my piece of mind. I work at the Inner Harbor, Downtown Baltimore and just knowing they won't get far helps quite a bit.

#18 ·
The Mossberg 500 is a very fine manual security device.
I prefer the 835 Ulti-mag!

3-1/2" baby!

+1 for the chains and anchors. I don't have a garage but I have carport. The bonnie is parked in the carport with a thick steel cable running through the frame and around a 4x4 post that holds the carport up.

#17 ·
paging alarm

++1 on big chains and anchors, and alarms are the informational layer. If you have to leave her out overnight a paging alarm like the Scorpio products will help you sleep better. With a perimeter alarm option the FM remote will let you know if someone starts to screw around, and if they leave it will go back to sleep and you can too! If not, then grab the Mossberg and get your a$$ downstairs!

#21 ·
I agree with all the physical security devices already mentioned. But the cheapest security is covering the bike in some way and parking in a well lit area. I have fitted a light under my carport that comes on at dusk & off at dawn and uses low a energy bulb so doesn't cost a fortune to run. I also have a stonking big chain & lock connected to a ground anchor.

#26 ·
OnGuard

I live in apt. complex (thou moving soon to condo with 2 car private garage) and park bike in covered parking next to a metal frame post and use big a** chain, 6 ft long so can secure frame and wheel. Lube lock once a month. Available at many larger bike dealers

http://www.onguardlock.com/chain/

Ride and Enjoy!

#27 ·
I agree with greyghost, out of sight; out of mind. I am looking into a bike cover. And my landlord was nice enough to allow me to park mine under my deck (i have an upstairs apt) I also went to Lowes and got a chain and lock big enough to anchor the USS Missouri. Which I have wrapped around one of the 6x6 deck supports. I've seen a disc lock by Xena with a built in motion alarm. Any thoughts on these? As for physical security, the Mossburg is nice but my Taurus 380 with some hollowpoints should do the trick. Also thought about having my American Bulldog sleep on the deck.

#30 ·
I'm always amazed at how the builders in Colorado never install garage doors on the carports. The condos have open air parking and a bit of covering and that's it. When it snows you can get drifted in and worse have to dust the snow off your cars. You also leave your bike in the open.

But, i've never had a bike stolen so I guess from all the posts here everybody has had a bike stolen at one time or another. But an ounce of protection IS worth a pound of cure. I like the disc lock, if you're on the ball and do have some kind of reminder and it's portable.

#31 ·
Got a scorpio i900 and it makes me sleep better at night knowing that if somebody tries to mess with my bike it will make an obnoxious amount of noise, plus it will page me with the two way remote.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.