Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my t100 for less than a week. I don't have access to a garage, so every morning I walk outside to head to work I hope that it's still there. So, my question is if there are security measures that I can take other than the steering lock to protect my bike? I live in a gated apartment complex in a nice area of town, but it still makes me nervous...considering sleeping outside...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
security

Disc lock/alarm for both tires.
Kryptonite cable locks front and back tires and through frame.
Trained attack rottwieler leashed to the frame.
+1 on the "shelter" thingy, out of sight, out of mind.
Do you have covered parking? If so, is there a place where you can chain the bike to, like a steel post?
I would certainly get some case-hardened chain and a big, nasty padlock and frame tie it to something unmoveable.
Pull the bike into your apartment if possible. Just be careful you don't bottom out the frame on the door sealing strips, landlords take a dim view of this. Don't ask me how I know.
Park within view of your apartment and within hearing distance for the alarms.
Hopefully you at least have a cover for the bike, again, out of sight....
Good luck....
Bill

·
Registered
30 Posts
Security

I lock my Bonneville Black on the street in front of my house in center city philadelphia. I use a kryptonite like as think as my forearm, and anchor it to an steel anchor. I place bear traps on both sides of the bike and I have a large cargo net tied to a trip wire suspended directly above the bike.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd put my money on an alarm (unless they're serious, there's gonna be a lot of noise!) and a chain attached to something REAL heavy, whether that's a lamp-post or a ground anchor or something! (Obviously you don't buy the lamp post, that normally comes with the street!:) )
If it's not weighed down it'd only take 2 big guys with a van (or 4 little guys as I have found out firsthand!)

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I lock my Bonneville Black on the street in front of my house in center city philadelphia. I use a kryptonite like as think as my forearm, and anchor it to an steel anchor. I place bear traps on both sides of the bike and I have a large cargo net tied to a trip wire suspended directly above the bike.
The center of Philly is a little vague for me - could you please give me the exact address? :D

·
Registered
921 Posts
i cover mine with a generic cover. i use a disc lock *every* time i leave it alone. i'll start using the fork lock as soon as i get a key made. i'm considering one of those lever lock thingys that some posted a while back. i like the idea of a ground anchor, too, never thought about that. . . if i ever have a permanent spot outside i'll consider that, too.

it's all about layering anti-theft devices. a disc and fork lock is gonna be a serious deterrent. . . pretty much all i worry about with that is three big dudes pulling up in a box truck and lifting the bike in. you'd *really* have to want that bike in that situation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses thus far...they have been...enlightening...I especially like the idea of the cargo net. So, what's a disc lock?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Put lo-jack on my bonnie; that has always helped with my piece of mind. I work at the Inner Harbor, Downtown Baltimore and just knowing they won't get far helps quite a bit.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Thanks for the responses thus far...they have been...enlightening...I especially like the idea of the cargo net. So, what's a disc lock?

this is the disc lock that i have. i looks like a stapler and has a pin that goes through one of the holes in your front disc. a word of advice. . . make sure you get an "reminder" cable (the second picture) that goes from the disc to the front handlebar so you don't forget about the disc lock once and crush your front caliper.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Protection

How about my exmother-in-law or for that matter my ex!! she can sure bark loud. Tie her to the frame, feed her every two days, and she'll tear any thief to bits.

·
Registered
83 Posts
paging alarm

++1 on big chains and anchors, and alarms are the informational layer. If you have to leave her out overnight a paging alarm like the Scorpio products will help you sleep better. With a perimeter alarm option the FM remote will let you know if someone starts to screw around, and if they leave it will go back to sleep and you can too! If not, then grab the Mossberg and get your a$$ downstairs!

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
The Mossberg 500 is a very fine manual security device.
I prefer the 835 Ulti-mag!

3-1/2" baby!

+1 for the chains and anchors. I don't have a garage but I have carport. The bonnie is parked in the carport with a thick steel cable running through the frame and around a 4x4 post that holds the carport up.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'd put my money on an alarm (unless they're serious, there's gonna be a lot of noise!) and a chain attached to something REAL heavy, whether that's a lamp-post or a ground anchor or something! (Obviously you don't buy the lamp post, that normally comes with the street!:) )
If it's not weighed down it'd only take 2 big guys with a van (or 4 little guys as I have found out firsthand!)[/QUOTE

I Agree and possibly a bike cover would not be a bad idea, steel builders sling is also a good alternative to chain you cant cut that stuff with bolt cutters and if you know some one on a building site its cheap..

ps never liked disc locks (lousy memory) neuro that reminder cable great idea..

·
Registered
648 Posts
Pray! and make sure you are insured.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts