Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI

What are people using to secure their bikes from theft. I can't afford the genuine Triumph motorcycle alarm and therefore looking at other options.

I'm looking at either a disc lock with an alarm or using a padlock on the steering.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks and cheers

·
Registered
100 Posts
HI

What are people using to secure their bikes from theft. I can't afford the genuine Triumph motorcycle alarm and therefore looking at other options.

I'm looking at either a disc lock with an alarm or using a padlock on the steering.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks and cheers
TBird how can you spend $20k ++ on the bike and not find $400 for the alarm. It is a snap to fit it - 30 minutes tops and will give you piece of mind.
I also have an alarmed disk lock but only use that if staying away overnight but the Triumph alarm is the way to go.

Blindaussie

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Disc lock and low deductible insurance. If someone wants it...they will get it. But my house is ADT monitored so you can't walk more than 3 feet in my garage without setting it off even if I leave the garage door open. The police station is 2 miles away and my dog sleeps 40 feet away from the bike. Then I have a back up system as well that I don't talk about. ;)

Good luck.

BTW, please don't cut my phone line or power since the ADT system has a 72hr back up and is wireless. The Triumph dealer is only 8 miles away....probably easier.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have seen people defeat almost every type of alarm and anti theft device known. Once they simply used a tow truck and hauled my car off with the alarm blaring and no one even bothered to question them as they looked like a legitimate buisness! So I simply dont worry about it when out and about.

At home I have a German Shepard that loves to sit in a dark corner and ambush intruders. I figure if you can get past him you want the bike more than I but the cops will find you when you are getting stiched back together at the hospital!:)

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
No one has mentioned the fork lock, which by the way I've never used, why a disc lock vs. the fork lock with a nice big ugly padlock?

·
Registered
39 Posts
HI

Any thoughts please?

Thanks and cheers
I used a Zena alarm type disc lock for quite a while but found that they have a tendency to set off the disc alarm without anyone touching it. What I've done now is to remove the batteries from it so that it looks like it's going to scream at anyone disturbing it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Greetings,

I have to agree with BMK, good insurance with a low deductable... If someone wants it... I don't care what kind of alarm you have or how big your dog is... they will wait until you park it at the bar/mall and steal it then. ANY alarm can be by-passed, and ANY lock can be cut/broken... ;)

Blindaussie, I'm not sure where you get 20K from.... Mine out the door was 13K... Maybe 20K ++ for a Rocket?

hagatha

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hagatha in USA they retail for $13k or so. The same bike here in OZ retails for $23k which given the current exchange rate should really be around $12.5k for us but that's the price we pay for living in god's country (and a population of only 25 million people)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can I summarise my attitude to this?
Clearly if your bike is parked at home it's best in your locked/alarmed garage.
If your bike is parked up away from home for short periods then you are best served by parking in general view of people and not out of sight in an alley and use either a disc lock (preferably the alarm type) or a padlock for the Thunderbird steering (not that fragile thing that they call a steering lock). In this situation you ideally need a locking device which is easy to carry which is where a big U lock or chain is inconvenient to carry unless you have panniers, not to mention potential scratches on your wheel alloy.
If your bike is parked up away from home and it's going to be left for long periods, say all day, and you use the same parking location often/every day, resign yourself that one day it will be gone.
Of course, determined thieves will get your bike whatever you use and stopping that is difficult. But what you need is a lock to deter the opportunist which is easy to carry and use so that you will use it.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
If someone really wants your bike, they are going to get it. Around here, this is how its done: A team of guys steal a pickup truck, throw a mattress in the back, ride up beside your motorcycle, huck it into the truck bed .... and that's that. They go around town rinsing and repeating for a night and then disappear.

That being said, an alarm and a cable through the frame secured by an Israeli made Multi-Lock is about the best option in my opinion. You can key the padlock to match your home and garage key (no need for extra keys). I've used that system for many years - the locks cost roughly the same as a regular top of the line lock from Home Depot, but they are much better.

http://www.mul-t-lock.com/73.html

And then - get theft insurance on your bike, so if someone steals it, well ... its brand new Thunderbird time!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Around here guys take an enclosed trailer like an old horse trailer - modifiy it so it has no floor, and hinges in the front - then they can just lift the back, roll right over your bike, hide it from view and a team of guys lift it on slings and they drive away. Anyone found a way of Lo-jacking your bike? The challenge would be to hide the transponder where the thieves wouldn't think to look for it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
At home I use a Xena alarmed disc lock + a padlock on the steering as well as a 3/4 inch cable lock thru the rear wheel/belt drive. All in a locked shed

·
Registered
271 Posts
At home base, protection is provided courtesy of 10 rather large dogs and Mr. Beretta and one locked work shed. On the road, it is a bit more difficult. :) The dogs won't all fit on the bike, especially the 155 pound one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
At home base, protection is provided courtesy of 10 rather large dogs and Mr. Beretta and one locked work shed. On the road, it is a bit more difficult. :) The dogs won't all fit on the bike, especially the 155 pound one.
ahh, but is Mr Beretta always a pillion :Shooting

1 - 20 of 27 Posts