Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the bikes that get ripped off, what do you guys do when you and the little lady stop for a room at night? At some of the hotels you can't even see the parking from your room. I guess you could call ahead to see what type of parking they have but that kind of takes the spur of the moment thing out of it. I like to ride and not worry where we end up at the end of the day. I feel more at ease knowing it’s in its place every night at home. It bothers me to leave it unprotected in some unknown city/town. Definitely affects my sleep. I guess times have changed and it’s not like it was 20 years ago. Just wondering because spring is here and summer is defiantly a great time to take some short trips.

In closing, what do you guys do to protect our bikes when out of sight.

My disc lock doesn't fit my 1972 Tiger, lol

Regards

·
Registered
201 Posts
I carry 2 chain locks,one goes around the front wheel and another smaller chain lock goes around the center stand then through the wheel chain lock.

This way it cant be moved forward off the center stand as the locks are too tight to allow the bike to come off the stand.

Wont stop people lifting it up but would make it very difficult to move!

Den

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Many years ago my bonnie was vandalised...someone with a gripe???
Dont think there`s a lot you can do about a determined attack.:(
Firstly I use the steering lock.
when she eventually gets on the road, I think I`ll buy a heavy chain and secure it to a lampost or similar.
No good just chaining it up, if its going to be shoved in the back of a van.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Many years ago my bonnie was vandalised...someone with a gripe???
Dont think there`s a lot you can do about a determined attack.:(
Firstly I use the steering lock.
when she eventually gets on the road, I think I`ll buy a heavy chain and secure it to a lampost or similar.
No good just chaining it up, if its going to be shoved in the back of a van.

Not always possible to find a lamp post!

I figure with the center stand locked in place and the front wheel unable to move, it would have to be lifted quite high to roll it on the rear wheel.

If they are determined enough they will take it whatever you lock it with!

When I bought my first Triumph I left a deposit on the bike and the seller took the single Amal off and gave it to me to hold onto until i returned the next day with the cash.

Nothing to do with locks but pretty decent of him as he had possibly been done up by somebody giving a bike a last time thrashing before he picked it up!

Den

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
"put it in your room and chain it to your bed got no worrys then!!!!!"

With a shotgun under yer pillow?

·
Registered
720 Posts
A cable lock to some fixed anchor, light post, sign, corner post, etc. is probably the cheapest alternative. Cable locks are more annoying to cut than chain. However, if you are willing to spend the money, a Gorilla alarm
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/motorcycle.alarms
is what I use. The basic unit is about $100-$125 with the option to add a paging system. It doesn’t cost much more to buy the pager later than buying the whole system up front.

The alarm also gives your gear a little protection in that if some one starts trying to get your stuff off the bike while parked at a restaurant for lunch, the alarm hopefully will drive them off.

I bought mine for my trip to Birmingham and the peace of mind was worth every penny. Click here for installation on my bike.
http://artshobbyprojects.com/alarmpage.htm

Art.

·
Registered
201 Posts
A cable lock to some fixed anchor, light post, sign, corner post, etc. is probably the cheapest alternative. Cable locks are more annoying to cut than chain. However, if you are willing to spend the money, a Gorilla alarm
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/motorcycle.alarms
is what I use. The basic unit is about $100-$125 with the option to add a paging system. It doesn’t cost much more to buy the pager later than buying the whole system up front.

The alarm also gives your gear a little protection in that if some one starts trying to get your stuff off the bike while parked at a restaurant for lunch, the alarm hopefully will drive them off.

I bought mine for my trip to Birmingham and the peace of mind was worth every penny. Click here for installation on my bike.
http://artshobbyprojects.com/alarmpage.htm

Art.
Does that mean I will have to keep the wife after all!:(

·
Registered
221 Posts
video on youtube,van pulls up guys jump out,, open back door of van ...pick up jap bike ... lift in to back of van,, pull back door close.... jump in van drive of ..........TIME 29 SECONDS,,,,,,,,,,,,,albert the tiprat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts