Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I've done a search on this but I couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I should be buying a 99 TBS this weekend, and I'm looking for ideas to keep it from disappearing. I'm hoping to be able to keep it at my work, in a parking lot patrolled by security, but I need some good solid security ideas in case that doesn't work out and I have to keep it on or near the street here at my apartment in Queens.

I've heard horror stories of bikes being lifted into the back of a van and carried off, so I want something that's going to be able to anchor the bike securely and be difficult to defeat. Theres a 5" thick pipe on the side of my building running the full height of it, so that would make a good anchor point, but I need a good chain or lock to anchor to it. We've already had two bicycles stolen since we moved here, each within 2 months of buying them. The second one had a strong U lock and it was still taken in broad daylight on a busy street, so I'm pretty paranoid and looking for something with a solid reputation. I know nothing is fool proof but I hope I can get something solid enough that a thief would be inclined to go after someone else's bike.

The ALMAX locks look pretty good, but it looks like they're difficult or impossible to get here in the US. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Hi hobo and welcome to the forum!

Not that this will make you sleep at night any better but you might try a loud alarm and a Lo-Jack. There is also an alarm that alerts you by way of a key chain that sounds if someone touches your bike. I wouldn't recommend confronting a thief in the night unless you're a UFC tough guy. :cool:

Definitely insure the bike for theft.

Of course you could move to a place where the roads are twisty and less traffic ...
and maybe less crime? ;)

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Someone I know recently had his GSXR stolen from his house in NYC. It wasn't a newer bike, nor was it in nice looking condition as it has just been involved in an accident. I think it was a 98. It definitely sounds like a problem there. I would probably use a thick wire cable as they can be harder to cut through than a chain. Also, run it through the frame somewhere as a wheel isn't hard to remove. Certainly if it is a newer bike, have theft insurance. My friend didn't, but I can't really blame him on a 13 year old bike. I would have to think any loud alarm would be a deterrent. Also keep it covered so it's less likely to stand out.

The fact of the matter though is that if they want it, they will get it. However, the more you do to make it harder to steal, the better as they may just go on down the road and look for an easier one.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
The LoJack--combined with physically securing the vehicle--strikes me as a good idea too, although I've not had experience with stolen vehicles.

Lojack claim that a vehicle can be found by the police within a few hours of the device being activated, and they say that is usually fast enough to retrieve it before much damage is done. There might be the added satisfaction of catching the thieves too, since it is completely silent.

I had one put in my car when I bought it, and Lojack won't even tell the dealer where they put the device; of course I don't know where it is either. I'm not sure how they hide it on a bike.

Personally, if I were in your situation and didn't have a secure place to keep the bike, I wouldn't have one because I wouldn't want the worry. And no amount of security is likely to prevent random vandalism.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Just get a thick chain and buy insurance. Don't worry about it too much. A 99 thunderbird is not going to be a big target. Jap sportbikes and dual sports are what most thieves look for.

I would probably leave my bonneville on the street with no chain and not worry about theft. The reason I don't is simply because it would get knocked over by cars all the time. So I pay for an indoor garage

But anyway just get insurance.. that's what it's for. The beeper alarm is another good idea. Lo-Jack is pretty expensive compared to the value of that bike, so I probably would not do that myself, but if it gives you peace of mind by all means consider it.

By the way, hobo, we have our own nyc forum here, so you can chat with other nyc area people who might offer more specific info on nyc related topics. http://www.triumphrat.net/riders-group-nyc-area/

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
If you knew a few people in a similar situation you could club together for a lockup or storage thingummy?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the reply's guys. Looks like the sale may have fallen through *bitter disappointment* so I guess I've got more time to figure this out.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
No matter what you use I guarantee you if they want it and they are experienced at their criminal vocation they will over come what ever you use to secure your bike...sorry to say that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No matter what you use I guarantee you if they want it and they are experienced at their criminal vocation they will over come what ever you use to secure your bike...sorry to say that.
That much I know, but I'd like to make myself a more difficult target than the next guy, difficult enough that they decide its more worth their while to go after someone else. Like the two guys running from the bear

1st guy (to 2nd guy): Its no use running from this bear, he's much faster than us, we'll never out run him!

2nd guy: I don't have to out run the bear, I just have to out run you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts