Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 50 degree weather I decided to take my bike out of winter storage, but it's running like crap. Upon putting it away last fall I filled it with gas and also sta-bil, took the battery out and left it on a tender, emptied float bowls, yadda yadda..

Now throttle response is terrible with or without choke pulled. I have to rev it like crazy in first at stops to keep it from stalling. I just today gave it some seafoam (about 15 miles ago) and changed the stock jets (110 I believe) to 115s. I don't have any airbox mods besides snorkel pulled but my stock exhaust are de-baffled.

Neither of those things seem to have helped. I took it on the highway and at WOT in 6th gear I was barely over 5k rpm and didn't go any faster than 60mph.

What the hell should I do?!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Umm... 6th gear? I assume you mean 5th, but if not, one of us has problems far more serious than I initially expected.

Dump all the gas, flush, and refill. I know that stabilizers, cleaners, etc., usually do what they're supposed to, but I don't trust them. Drain at least some of it through the float bowls, and watch carefully for any crud that might come out. Next, look for vacuum leaks. Check hoses and caps for cracks. If your bike was a CA model (mine, despite getting off the boat ten miles from where I bought it in Baltimore, was a CA model), check to see that the EVLS charcoal can isn't full of fuel or water, because that'll lock up the carb float bowls quick. Opinions differ, but I'd recommend you remove that crap if it's on your bike. Check your tank vent (in the gas cap... wipe the bottom off and suck on it... use a cut-down ear syringe if you don't like the taste of gas) and overflow tube. If they get plugged, they'll vacuum lock the tank. This doesn't sound like that, but it's not bad to check.

If it's not bad gas or a vacuum problem, you're down to carbs or ignition. Pull the plugs. Black and sooty means you're running way rich, which with 115s on a stock bike should mean ignition. Otherwise, you probably have something in the carbs stuck or clogged. Either way, a little searching the forum should put you on the right track, and if you can't figure it out, report back with what you've found, and someone can probably help.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
If it is a California model, while you're checking the canister, take it off and chuck it into the garbage as I did to mine. :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't know where to find it! Too dark to look now. I have both the Haynes and Triumph manual so I'll see if I can find it in a diagram.

Forgot to mention POPPING in the carbs once in a while while revving.

Checked the rubbers and they're in great shape. Actually had to pull the carbs off as this was my first rejet experience and the damn stock screws are a pain as we all know.

Those SS replacement screws were the best $5 ever spent.

EDIT: I Tried the gas cap vent but to no avail and removing the cap while running did not make any difference. I'll check the overflow tube tomorrow.

I think I will drain the tank completely through the float bowls and use the gas for the lawn mower or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts