Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm flying out to Atlanta at o-dark thirty tomorrow to buy a 2003 Sprint ST that's got low miles and in great condition. What's more, I've planned a 1066 mile return journey on the twistiest back roads I could find between north Georgia and DFW.

At the moment I'm so excited about the bike and the ride that I'm practically useless at work. Can't stop thinking and planning. Lol.

Anyone else got a bad case of bike on the brain?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
That's me every day.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
At the moment I'm so excited about the bike and the ride that I'm practically useless at work. Anyone else got a bad case of bike on the brain?
That was me at work everyday. All I did was think about riding my Bonnie.

Now that my job is babysitting my 1 y/o g/d, I'm to tired to ride.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
So, I'm flying out to Atlanta at o-dark thirty tomorrow to buy a 2003 Sprint ST that's got low miles and in great condition. What's more, I've planned a 1066 mile return journey on the twistiest back roads I could find between north Georgia and DFW.

At the moment I'm so excited about the bike and the ride that I'm practically useless at work. Can't stop thinking and planning. Lol.

Anyone else got a bad case of bike on the brain?

Like DWR said, there is not a lot of curvy between the Birmingham, Alabama metro and the DFW metro area unless you somehow go through Northern Arkansas and hit the Ozarks. If you have time swing through north Georgia around Dahlonega and head north up through the Smokies, then west through Tennessee where you will hit flat lands until about Batesville, Arkansas, then you are back in the fun stuff again until you start south towards home again.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
You will be happy with the '03 Sprint, it's a super sport tourer!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yup! I am lucky enough to have a window in my cube and park my bike right outside so I get to look at it all day!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to hear I'm not an isolated case. Prescription: "Take one rocket pill, and do it again in the morning!" LOL

I start out in the mountains north of Atlanta. Sunday I'll ride through the Talimena Scenic Byway. Think I'll knock off early today...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Consider a trip through Birmingham on your way back. US78 isn't a bad ride from Atlanta to Birmingham, and Barber's Vintage Motorsports Museum is just off US78/I20 near Leeds, AL. Then take US78 on to Memphis, cross the Mississippi River and turn right onto US64/US63 up through North AR.

Another great alternative -- After visiting Barber's, hop on I-20 to Tuscaloosa, AL. Take exit 73 and follow US82 all the way to the Dallas area (US82 crosses I35 near Sherman).

Make sure the tires are great, and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I would suggest changing the oil while you are there so it has a fresh batch of slippery for the trip. Also, learn how to decipher and find the date code on the tires in case they are over 5 years old. May as well give the chain a good lube too.

Have fun! I recently flew from Los Angeles to Las Vegas to get my VFR and rode it back. I didn't change the oil, but I did get new tires for it. I did however change the oil when I got home, but it's only about 300 miles.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Heck man, I have a crappy meeting to attend tomorrow. Not looking forward to it. Lots of conflict anticipated.

But I'm riding my bike the 50k to get there. That's all I'm looking forward to.

I'd probably be a nutjob if I didn't have my dream Triumph sitting in my garage right now.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Consider a trip through Birmingham on your way back. US78 isn't a bad ride from Atlanta to Birmingham, and Barber's Vintage Motorsports Museum is just off US78/I20 near Leeds, AL. Then take US78 on to Memphis, cross the Mississippi River and turn right onto US64/US63 up through North AR.

Another great alternative -- After visiting Barber's, hop on I-20 to Tuscaloosa, AL. Take exit 73 and follow US82 all the way to the Dallas area (US82 crosses I35 near Sherman).

Make sure the tires are great, and enjoy the ride.
Now that they have built I-22/Corridor X/ Hwy 78, I think that most of the old 78 they have renamed Hwy 5. That's the way I would go. When several of us headed through Memphis on the way to the Ozark RAT raid we took I-22 for the sake of speed and it was a drag.

Mrs. Irish and I were riding up that way last Sunday on our way to Dismals Canyon [a place not to be missed], and we took Hwy 5. When you cross the Warrior River on Hwy 5 there is a very old hole-in-the-wall hamburger stand and they have great homemade hamburgers. I think the name of the place is called The Frosty Mug.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the great suggestions, y'all. I'm in the airport waiting for my flight. Super stoked! All though, I probably look kind of freakish decked out in my riding gear!

PO changed oil and filter and lubed the chain yesterday. Put on the touring shield for me. Tires are 3 months old w/ 300 miles (Road Attacks). I think I'm ready to roll!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts