Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I saw that Rob, he certainly was a bit glowing about it. S3 does this regularly though, it is a really good bike. Has been for years. For me, it's up there with Fireblade, VFR, sort of classics in waiting. Good from day one :wink2:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I convinced my father to get a Thruxton R and he ordered at the end of the winter and received it yesterday. I drove it from the dealer to my father's house, about a 1 hour ride.

Didnt rev it too high since its brand new, I will wait a couple miles to be put on it before hitting it harder.

It's a hell of a nice bike, attention to details is impressive. Sounds good too.

I thought it would pull a little bit harder, maybe its just that I dont know the power curve yet, or that I'm used to my S3 power I dont know. The first gear feels like its lacking some whip, even in sport mode. I cant wait to ride it again, it was a really fun ride. Bike is light, and very easy to drive.

Does yours get hot in the throttle body area too? I felt some heat under my thighs after a bit, maybe it will break in a little.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's differently one of the bikes of the year. It's an amazing bike to ride for all riders and co conditions

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I convinced my father to get a Thruxton R and he ordered at the end of the winter and received it yesterday. I drove it from the dealer to my father's house, about a 1 hour ride.

Didnt rev it too high since its brand new, I will wait a couple miles to be put on it before hitting it harder.

It's a hell of a nice bike, attention to details is impressive. Sounds good too.

I thought it would pull a little bit harder, maybe its just that I dont know the power curve yet, or that I'm used to my S3 power I dont know. The first gear feels like its lacking some whip, even in sport mode. I cant wait to ride it again, it was a really fun ride. Bike is light, and very easy to drive.

Ha! Ha! Off topic but could not help thinking how in about 1967 while my dad was shopping for an economical car for his commute to work. I talked him into a used Triumph TR4. Then slooowwly traded him for my dreadful 1957 four door, six cyl, 2 speed auto, Chevy 210.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I guess it just shows what so many of us already know, it doesn't take 180hp to make a fantastic bike. But funny, you can make a bike ugly and uncomfortable if you give it big hp guys will buy it and say it's the best thing ever. Sing its praises through the tears from their aching asses and burning arms. Boy, in the straights they sure do go! Lol!!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I never said the S3 was crap, but the leftover inventory and prices they are being had for suggest triumph look at whats going on around them. I never ever heard of the rag that put the 2016 S3 as bike of the year and the other bikes in the same class are lighter, brake better, and many have electronic suspension. The 2016 is the same 2011 with ride modes the bike doesn't make enough power to need. I bought my S3 because i'm a triumph guy but look at some of the major publications and the s3 isn't even included and hasn't been for years. Now can A S3 owner that knows his bike intimately outrun me at the track or twisties, good chance, but put equal riders on a 2016 s3 or one of the new top 3 nakeds and... it really depends what the tool is being used for but the speed certainly doesn't out handle the Aprilia, S1kr, SDr, MT10. Pretending our bike is the best is what harley riders do but we see things for what they really are right?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I never said the S3 was crap, but the leftover inventory and prices they are being had for suggest triumph look at whats going on around them. I never ever heard of the rag that put the 2016 S3 as bike of the year and the other bikes in the same class are lighter, brake better, and many have electronic suspension. The 2016 is the same 2011 with ride modes the bike doesn't make enough power to need. I bought my S3 because i'm a triumph guy but look at some of the major publications and the s3 isn't even included and hasn't been for years. Now can A S3 owner that knows his bike intimately outrun me at the track or twisties, good chance, but put equal riders on a 2016 s3 or one of the new top 3 nakeds and... it really depends what the tool is being used for but the speed certainly doesn't out handle the Aprilia, S1kr, SDr, MT10. Pretending our bike is the best is what harley riders do but we see things for what they really are right?
What publications? American bike magazines are crap. They have excluded the Speed Triple mainly because Triumph doesn't pay for advertising.
I'm tired of them picking winners based on Mfg's claimed HP numbers.
Who cares if the Tuono can out perform the Speed triple on a track. It's not all about HP. I'd never buy the Tuono based on the fact it gets worse economy than my Subaru. Rediculious.
That and they cost an arm and a leg.
I prefer something practical, handles, fantastic power and looks great.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I really should have kept that post to myself. sorry Cburt i'm sure you're getting tired of seeing me hanging around. Brand Triumph is a walk down memory lane and they have done best when creating their own market and they shouldn't be bound to compete because that's in effect letting other co's dictate what direction you go. Anyhow, I'll keep my posts as politically correct as possible. Most American publications love the S3 and the 2 subscriptions I get are littered with triumph ads and the modern classics are destroying the competition.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I really should have kept that post to myself. sorry Cburt i'm sure you're getting tired of seeing me hanging around. Brand Triumph is a walk down memory lane and they have done best when creating their own market and they shouldn't be bound to compete because that's in effect letting other co's dictate what direction you go. Anyhow, I'll keep my posts as politically correct as possible. Most American publications love the S3 and the 2 subscriptions I get are littered with triumph ads and the modern classics are destroying the competition.
No, I welcome your opinion. Keeps me on my toes and thinking.
I tend to be overly opinionated against magazines in the states. There mostly fluff and one page articals that's mostly advertisements.
I'm bias towards Trumphs in general, not to say I haven't owned my share of Hondas and Yamahas. (2-FZ-1's)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Best, Best, Best, and the horsepower, handling, and even electronic warfare to determine the Best bike is getting to be a bit much.

The best bike is the one that works the best where You ride. Doesn't matter what the rags say. If you regularly ride on somewhat twisty, narrow roads with frequent broken pavement and gravel surprises Like I do, you are not going to be needing 180+ HP. And unless you've got the "Telepathic" option, all the other electronics will not keep you from nailing that black bear or moose lounging in your lane just around the blind turn,,, you know, the one you've practiced on and can really just rail.

An upholsterer can not do better work by trading in his tack hammer for a two pound ball peen.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I suppose it's the adolescent in me that rebels at the word best. There's a lot of great bikes out there and they're all good at something and we have different expectations of our machines making what's best for a tuono or vmax owner different than what I need.the speedy is still a competent bike but just a few years ago if you wanted a liter naked there were 3 , April ia, ducati, or Triumph now there's many.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts