Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

Which Triumph for April's Bike of the Month?

• Calliway - Bonnie Black

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • JG - Thruxton

Votes: 74 38.7%
  • JeffinIA - T140E

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • dposalski - Trophy

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • AAustin - Bonneville

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • justbrian - Scrambler

Votes: 53 27.7%
  • choosetheblues - Bonneville

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • ThruxtonJIm - Thruxton

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • triumphantblonde - Speed Triple

Votes: 19 9.9%
  • ecrabbit96 - Adventurer

Votes: 4 2.1%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 2007 Bonnie Black:

Black powder coated badges, black flanders low cafe bars, black bar end mirrors converted to handlebar style, ARK, 128/42 jets, center stand, front headlight cowl, rear seat cowl, contemporary seat, Scrambler solo seat (for long hauls), Wassel exhaust and hand pinstriped (by me). I think that's everything.

Some pics of my entry, incarnation 3:

From the back:

From the front:

Last year my wife told me that she wanted to start riding. At the time I was riding a 2005 ST. I went to my dealer and told them that Mrs. Cal was going to ride and to start putting their feelers out for an 07+ Bonneville. The thing is this, in Canada used Bonnevilles are impossible to find, period. The dealer has never had a used Bonneville come through. The day I asked them they aid that they were working with a guy who was trading one in. My timing was a miracle. I told them what I wanted to pay and said that if the trade went through that I would buy it.

Fast forward a few days. My wife is out mtn biking and has a terrible spill. She is black and blue all over and looks like a truck hit her. Luckily all surface bruising and nothin broken. She is completely put off of riding. The dealer calls and says the bike is in. I had already given my word so I went up and bought it. Not all bad having an 07 Bonnie and a 05 Sprint in the garage.

I start riding the Bonnie exclusively and the Sprint sits. I think to myself I will try and sell the Sprint at the end of the season. If it sells the fine if not then fine as well. I advertised it and in 24 hours it sold. Let the modding of the Bonnie begin. I have been working and tweaking the Bonnie since last August and it has taken on three incarnations but the third is the final.

Incarnation 1:

Incarnation 2:

So two weeks ago Mrs. Cal called me from work and enrolled in the Motorcycle course to get her liscence. I told her hands off my Bonnie and so the search begins for a good bike for her.

·
Registered
38 Posts
1979 T140e

This is my 79 Bonnie. PO put on the back rest and hiway bars
otherwise it is stock. I bought it with a wrecked front end fixed it rode it then stored it until last year when I put new tires new brake cylinders , hoses and new mufflers,New fork tubes and seals and rode it a little bit, but due to a shoulder injury my riding days might be about over:( I`ve owned this bike over 20 years and it runs as good today as when it was new.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Runner-up - April Bike of the Month

Alright - it was suggested to me to try this out, so here I am! There's some tough competition already but here's what used to be a 2007 Scrambler. (I basically just refer to it as a "Triumph Twin" when people ask these days.)

Bought it new in July of 2007 as my first bike of my own (learned to ride on pop's Harleys when I was younger). Started with the normal go-fast mods to keep it peppy when one or two up: NARK, D&D slip-ons, rejet (using Innovate Electronics air/fuel), etc.

Cosmetic mods include powder coated frame/engine covers, painted side covers, sprocket cover, custom headlight/ears, tail-light, speed/bracket, polished fork legs and top tipple clamp, seat (which is also modified for lower seat height and improved fit), relocated ignition switch, regulator and horn and resulting alterations to wiring harness to get rid of the mess in the headlight, new low profile bullet turn signals, and probably a million little things I'll never remember unless I'm looking right at em!

Finally, forks have been rebuilt (progressive springs, cart emulators, low stiction seals and 15w oil) and lowered about 2" to accommodate Tomaselli style clip-ons. Running a 16T front sprocket and loving it. Nimble and fast.

What else to say? Aside from the blasting and powder coating of the frame, all of this work has been done by my own hands in my rather modest little shop space (in the basement of an old warehouse building). Plenty of blood sweat and beers!

·
Registered
2018 Bonneville T120
49 Posts
2007 Bonneville - Goodwood Green is good!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn297/choosetheblues/DSCF0708.jpg

Year: 2007
Model: Bonneville
Eng size: 865 cc
Pipes: Specialty Spares Dunstall replicas
Seat: Thruxton gel solo
Wheels: Stock
Accessories: In addition to the exhaust system, air box removal, 1/4 fairing (painted along with side covers to match the bike colour), Xenon HID headlight, twin Fiamm horns, Gen Mar handlebar riser, Super bars & fork gaitors (Bella Corse), added Tach 2 instrument cluster, clock, Hunter heated flat bar handle grips, Renntec chrome sport luggage rack (not shown), 19T rear sprocket,
And the story: Rode a 1974 Norton Commando Interstate for 28 years (see photo link above). Fully restored with some mods Spring 2007 but had to sell it finally due to bad right knee unable to kick her over anymore! Plus I wanted a more dependable bike for longer trips. Had to be British. Triumph was the one. Chose the Bonnie - last 07 on the floor at Ottawa Goodtime Centre on sale and only green one - rare colour in Canada. Bought it and started the tweaking to get it the way I wanted her. VERY pleased with the bike but just went out and bought a nice used 1996 Thunderbird this week (March 09) and will be modifying it to my taste. Pics to follow. My lucky wife gets the Bonnie - she just got her license last year. The couple that bikes together stays together and if they're on Triumphs they stay happy!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bike of the Month

It was suggested I throw my hat into the ring, so here goes!

My bike is a 2008 Euro3-spec EFI Thruxton, purchased new last May. I've installed Hagon shocks, 1" handle bars risers, TOR exhaust pipes, a 1/4 bikini fairing and assorted bling. I love the thing!

The story:

I had been away from motorcycling for the better part of 15 yrs due to marriage, raising kids, work, etc. Previously, I had been a complete and total bike addict in my youth, but thought myself "cured" of the affliction......... then in the fall of 2007 we moved from New York to Luxembourg due to a job change.

Luxembourg is a small city in the heart of Europe surrounded by lovely countryside and excellent roads. One day last spring, while out for a walk with my son, I heard a sound that raised the hair on the back of my neck: the unmistakable rumble of a vertical twin going through its gears.

I turn around to see a blacked out Bonneville coming up the road ridden by a fellow in vintage leathers, looking for all the world like a throwback to an old Brando movie. It was strange, but then-and-there I decided to get one of those. The sight and sound of that Bonnie just flipped a switch inside me that I thought was long broken.

Two weeks later I was putting down the deposit on the Thruxton at the local dealer and the rest, as they say, is history. Most weekends, nowadays, I can be found exploring the backroads of Luxembourg on my Bonnie and having a heck of a time!

PS. Now and then I ride the bike to work. The example of the Bonnie, (plus my "preaching") has convinced 2 of my colleagues to start riding again.

Jim

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well, I have two bikes, a 1997 Speed Triple and my 2006 Daytona 955i. Forgive my censoring of the second picture, to save any blushes.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My 2001 Adventurer

I will let the bike speak for it's self. I do have a new dunstall fairing coming for it but this is still a good look. I took the cheap emgo fairing off because I got fed up with the fact that they are not square and look good as long as your not looking straight at it. New one is coming from http--www.airtech-streamlining.com-vintage-Dunstall.htm and will be fibreglass not plastic.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Thanks to all who have posted pictures of their bikes in April's Bike of the Month thread. What an interesting collection of bikes and modifications! Kudos to all!

Nominations are now closed for April, but comments are always welcome. A poll will decide the winner for April's Bike of the Month. After the voting is completed for April, I will open May's Bike of the Month. Stay tuned!

Catenaccio

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Poll should have a single, similar photograph of each bike, and a list of any features.

Otherwise, it's just a popularity contest.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
OK we'll call it a popularity contest ! ;)

We've discussed all the ins and outs and gone for the present format, more than 1 pic allows different views and the showing of mods where applied. The outline of the competition is in the sticky at the top of this forum. We're still winging it, could be minor changes to the format but sofar it appears to be successful.

-------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Why is the thread called "Comments on this poll"?

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
The thread is actually called: Bike of the Month - April

....but if you actually access the thread from the Home Page poll and click on Comments on this Poll it will link directly from there to the thread and throw up an Edit window in which to comment.

----------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
If I may...

I added "comments welcome" because BotM is ramping up and working out kinks one problem at a time. Your suggestion is valid.
The dilemma with BotM is the infinite possibilities of entries for bikes and looks. In other bike specific forums there's only one model being discussed or featured. Pics tend to showcase the changes a bike goes through as it evolves into something different from what the manufacturer intended. While also true to a degree on this site, TRATnet features: cruisers, standards, classics, dual sports, singles, twins, triples, fours, sport bikes, sport tourers, the ubiquitous Rocket III, vintage - and as you've probably noticed - new models from Triumph not yet for sell. Room has been made for all iterations.

It's been interesting so far to see how individuals photograph their bikes then choose which photos to enter. BotM is primarily a visual medium with descriptions adding to the overall experience. To require a same angle-same look picture format would probably equalize the contest, but since it is primarily a popularity contest, it might also discourage some members from nominating their own bikes. Something I am remiss to do as moderator. No doubt, some members are disappointed their entries do not win. It isn't a reflection of build-quality or personality or location. It is however a reflection of what is popular for that poll.

As Disraeli is oft-quoted "There are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics." Think of the BotM as a popularity contest and choose your definition. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whether it's a popularity contest or not, I like the BotM format just the way it is. A "single, similar photograph of each bike" might not highlight the features or upgrades that a given rider feels sets their bike apart.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Thanks Catenaccio,

Sounds good to me! I'm not much of a contest person, so either way is fine, no biggy. I assumed "comments" was in the literal sense of the word, in that T-Rat was looking for input and ideas on the thread from members. My mistake, sorry.

Ride safe.

Bob

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Bob,

No problem. Like I mentioned, your comment is valid and had been considered when BotM was revamped. Thanks for the input!

Randal

·
Registered
64 Posts
Brian,

That is a truly excellent and unique looking bike. I love what you have done with it. The white is a bit bold, but somehow you made it work. You have given me plenty of great ideas. Just curious, where did you re-locate the horn to? I love how much cleaner it looks.

Take care buddy. Awesome bike!

Roy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts