Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'am looking for some advice on lifting the rocket so its easier to clean and when it becomes nesessary to remove the rear wheel when the tyre needs changing.I;ve got a bike lift with a safe load capacity of upto 400kg;s. the bike i had before was the triumph speedmaster and i could lift the bike up by the frame runners underneath the bike. The rocket hasn't got a frame underneath the engine and i can't seem to find a lift point. Can we lift the bike on the sump or is that not adviseable i cannot see any other way but to lift it from the bottom of the engine ? I don't want to cause any damage by lifting it in the wrong place
your advise is greatly apprieciated:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just put the lift centered below the engine and lift it up. This will lift only the front of the bike off the ground. From there I take a come along or a ratchet strap will work and attach it from the luggage rack to a beam in the garage and lift up the back end. It works for me.
Dave

·
Registered
690 Posts
DO NOT use the sump to lift the bike.
You said you have a bike lift.
I'll assume its a square lift from Sears or harbor freight or somewhere listed as a ATV lift.
Look under your bike.
You see those two holes that ain't got anything attached?
That's where you put two bolts.
Lets see if I can explain it so you can visualize it.
Here goes.
A piece of steel about 9" long, bolted to the top of your lift platform.
Two pieces of 3" angle iron.
Drill holes into the angle the same size as the holes under the motor in which to poke your bolts.
Scoot your lift under your motor, turn the angle so that the flat piece comes up to the outside of your motor. Mark where you want to weld it.
Let the jack down, weld your angles to your flat bar,
You now have a jack designed to lift BOTH wheels simultaneously, SAFELY..Good luck If this isn't explained good enough, PM me or e-mail me and I'll scan a diagram into the computer and shoot it to you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks TRIIICK,
I don't know about all the others here, but I sure don't own a welder to make the "proper" jack, so I'm stuck with store bought. After lifting the Touring once under the engine and using tie downs to lift the rear, I did wonder if I was doing any damage.

Anyone know the Classic chassis compared to the Touring chasis well enough to say that setting the jack back this far would also work for the Touring?

Or should I just forget all this and lift it using the "18"x12" board "on top of the jack and under the engine" method as recommended elsewhere.

Pete

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Those hydraulic table lifts are the way to go,a buddy of mine has one and lets me use it anytime i want. If i had the $$ and the room i'd wouldn't think twice about getting one. I was shopping with the wife one day and found a round pizza pan about 2'' deep and 18"+ in diameter that works great for changing the oil without the jack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for the information and advise on this like i said before i don't want to cause any damage by lifting the rocket wrongyes i have a sears type motorcycle lift and will look at the mods to get it off the floor
thanks again

·
Registered
876 Posts
I've lifted mine with my floor jack under the sump dozens of times with no problems. At times, I've removed the seat and side covers and used a tie down across the frame to secure it to the floor jack. When I had to tighten my headstock bearing nuts, I used the lift. I ended up pulling the whole front end off and cleaning and re-greasing the headstock bearings while I was there too.

I have not removed the rear wheel though. The rear has to be jacked up way high for the rear tire to clear the license plate and I just haven't been comfortable doing that.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have not removed the rear wheel though. The rear has to be jacked up way high for the rear tire to clear the license plate and I just haven't been comfortable doing that.
I have, several times. I put the front support of the lift under the sump, and the rear under the frame tabs. Its very stable and I have not had any problems, however, I am always relieved when I get the rear tire back on.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Lifting the Beast is always a heart-wrenching ordeal. In order to get it into my shed for winter storage, i have to jack it up on one of these lifts and "push" it at rt. angle to place it parallel to the back of the shed. All the while this thing is wobbling on the mercy of the lift, all wheels off the ground. Needless to say, I'm always GREATLY relieved when I release the hydraulics and both wheels are safely planted back on terra firma! This thing WAS NOT designed to be lifted by one of these lifts! I always use an assortment of wood shims and it seems that I never use the same conction twice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts