Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched back to my sidestand and even after heating and bending it in a vice the bike still leans too far.
I have seen many pictures of Triumphs leaning like mine and even worse.
Does anyone know of a lug or something that can be welded on the bottom of the kickstand? Or any other fix?
I know there are generic sidestands that bolt to the frame, but are they any good? Does anyone have any experience with these?
I can heat it more and bend it a little more but not much more.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Welded loop on end of side-stand

When my T100 basket case arrived, the previous owner had welded a loop of steel to the side-stand to lengthen it, but it still leaned over too far for my tasted, so I followed suit a welded yet another loop on to his. It's not elegant, but the bike has a decent lean-angle when parked.

I'm sure there's better and/or proper ways to fix your problem, but this method worked for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,882 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After allot of heat and bending the kickstand while it was in a vice it's very close to where I want it.
I think I'll weld a 1" square block on the bottom so I don't have to worry about it sinking into the asphalt on a hot day. Then round it off with a grinder and paint it.
Problem solved.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I'm sure this was discussed in previous threads. My guess is one of three possibilities.

1. Lug on the frame is bent from kicking the bike on the sidestand. A few degrees on the lug is a lot more at the end of the stand.

2. Lug was broken off and welded back on at the wrong angle.

3. The stand itself it the wrong stand for the bike and is too short. This is probably a low probability since I would not understand somebody replacing an OIF stand unless it was trashed in a crash.

The sidestand, if it is not distorted, is not the problem. The symptom is exceesive lean. Assuming you have the correct suspension height on the bike and correct tire sizes/wheel sizes, bending a good stand is not the proper fix. It is figuring out the root cause and addressing that.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sidestand I used was on a spare 1971 frame. The kickstand was bent in a circular fashion. The back of the frame was also cut off so I'm assuming it was customized somehow?

I heated it and bent it straight again like it should be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts