Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I started up my TBA and it ran as if only one side was firing. After a short ride the problem stop. Went to a restaurant and when I started it back up it experienced the same symptoms. This time it was just for a short while (2-5 minutes). The bike hasn’t started in a week and we were pelted with 2.35 inches of rain Thursday. Be advised I keep my bike outside covered.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
230 Posts
This may be related to a recent, yet unresolved problem I had with my '06 TBA. I was on the Interstate when I got caught in a hard rain. Since it was lunchtime, I pulled into a restaurant and the bike sat in the pouring rain about 30 minutes. I went to leave, and the bike killed as I pulled out. Thinking I just let out the clutch too fast, I started again and it killed again and wouldn't restart. I had just filled up with gas and thought it could be water in the gas. I didn't have any allen wrenches, so I had to walk to an auto parts store to buy wrenches and pull the bowl on the carbs. All in all, didn't see any water in the gas or any other obvious issues. After about an hour or so of fooling with all this, I tried to start again and it fired up with having done nothing to cure the problem other than sit for an hour. I let it run about 15 min before getting back on the Interstate. It did fine for about 15 miles and the rain started again - ran about another 8 miles in the rain and it quit while I was running. It stopped like it was running out of gas (still had full tank). This time, after trying to restart, it sputtered a few times but it started. I was close to home so I made it without it quitting. I have only run in the rain one other time but it was a short distance and I had no problem. Several response postings to my questions centered on a vacuum lock in the gas tank and/or a possible link to the air hoses that hang from the carbs below the motor. It was suggested they are somehow getting water in the end of the tube and stopping the motor. Some suggested cutting them shorter and/or on an angle so water won't stay in the end of it. Someone else suggested just redirecting the tube. Others say it may be electrical. You might check some old postings under "Engine will stop when riding in the rain". A guy named Lanier had some good ideas. All this of course if your problem is realted to a water issue!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts