Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 Triumph T509 Speed Triple

I live in the city, last fall I came out out to my bike and it had obviously been knocked over...gas on the ground, broken cosmetics,etc. The good news was someone picked it up, no idea how long it laid on it's side though.

In retrospect I should have pulled the plugs, but not the easiest thing to do on the sidewalk. She seemed to run fine, but it was billowing smoke out the exhaust. I put it in storage and fixed the cosmetics over the winter. I noticed a little oil leak after I initially parked it, but nothing the rest of the winter.

I fired her up today, initially no smoke, but after the engine warmed up it started to run a little rough, exhaust popping (more than usual) and the smoke reappeared. I pulled over, sat for 5 minutes. When I fired her back up, initially no smoke but a few minutes later it reappeared. I'm not sure if the smoke is white or blue, it was night time.

Any idea about what the problem could be? Air filter saturated with oil perhaps, oil trapped in the cylinders? It's a 97 Triumph Speed Triple.

Any input you guys have or a planned course of action would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Oil in the airbox.
Pull tank, open airbox & clean it out. Common after a drop on left side.
Usually an issue when bike is down and still running
However if on its side for a while, enough may have accumulated in the breather hose to be sucked up when engine started first time after it was down.

The oil 'leak' you see is probably dripping from the airbox drain - check the hoses dwon by the sidestand and you may fnd the culprit. (there is supposed to be a plug in the end of the airbox drain hose)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DEcosse, much appreciated.
I'm hoping that was indeed the problem. I cleaned out the airbox today and there was definitely some oil in it and the filter itself was pretty saturated and mangled. Going to order a filter tonight, hopefully that's the end of the smoke.
Thanks much!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts