Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 T-Bird Storm
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so its getting close to that time here in the Northeast (Upstate NY) to get ready to winterize the bike for its yearly cold weather hibernation and PMS sets in...
going to do the end of the year oil change and some other little maintenance odds and ends but the Storm is different from my last few bikes.
my question, has/does anyone use one a bike jack/lift like the attached image to raise their bike to make it easier to do some of these maintenance deeds?
I have the same jack/lift in the picture below and on my Victory's and M109R there were frame pieces to help support the bike on the jack.
but I am fairly certain, by looking at the parts breakdown online and even pics of our Storm frames, that there isn't a frame rail up front.
So is using this jack still an option or am i going to have to come up with some other more creative way of lifting the bike?
i'm really loving my Storm and would rather not make a bonehead mistake and bugger it by using the jack improperly.
Automotive lighting Tool Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Bumper

·
Registered
2013 T-Bird Storm
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats part of the problem though, i don't think there are frame rails under the front of the Storm.
Font Auto part Parallel Automotive window part Triangle

·
Registered
2013 T-Bird Storm
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm pretty sure the engine is bolted in there with nothing under it.

·
Registered
2013 T-Bird Storm
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the pitbull stand also says won't fit 1700 cc models. i have the STORM not the standard Thunderbird. don't know how much of a difference it makes but i can say that there isn't much wiggle room between the exhaust and the swingarm. I have used these types of stands before in a previous life as a sportbike pilot and while they work pretty well, its a two person job with a heavy bike.
the jack that i have supported my hammer and my cross roads perfectly, single person job, and was ultra stable.
i'm not doubting that maybe something like this could work, but if i don't have to drop $200 on a new stand and use something that i already have, that is preferable. big difference between the Storm and your Twin.

anyone with a T-Bird or Storm wanna chime in here.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
There is no consensus on the best way to lift a TBird. Here is an old thread on the subject to give you ideas on solutions that have been tried.

I use a lift like yours and put one fork under the cat and the other under the header pipes. I stuff tightly rolled rags between the pipes and the engine/frame to minimize any pipe deflection. I've been doing it this way since 2011 with no problems.

·
Registered
2013 T-Bird Storm
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no consensus on the best way to lift a TBird. Here is an old thread on the subject to give you ideas on solutions that have been tried.

I use a lift like yours and put one fork under the cat and the other under the header pipes. I stuff tightly rolled rags between the pipes and the engine/frame to minimize any pipe deflection. I've been doing it this way since 2011 with no problems.
SWEET! Thank you for the link to the other thread. i figured there probably was a way to use the jack but i haven't had any bikes without frame rails under the front of the bike before so before i royally effed it up, i figured it was worth seeing what everyone else is doing.

Reactions: Stratofaster

·
Registered
276 Posts
The “Jack Be Quick “ brackets are great! They permit the use of 2 scissor jacks to lift front and rear of the T-Bird. Check them out to see if a storm is compatible.

·
Registered
2013 T-Bird Storm
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The “Jack Be Quick “ brackets are great! They permit the use of 2 scissor jacks to lift front and rear of the T-Bird. Check them out to see if a storm is compatible.
already contacted him and they are no longer being made... thinking that this winter i might have to contact a welding buddy and visit lowes for some shade tree mechanic ingenuity... or else wait to see if a set of those brackets come up for sale somewhere....... like some Victory parts, i'm thinking its another unicorn horn......

·
Registered
2013 Thunderbird 1600
34 Posts
the pitbull stand also says won't fit 1700 cc models. i have the STORM not the standard Thunderbird. don't know how much of a difference it makes but i can say that there isn't much wiggle room between the exhaust and the swingarm. I have used these types of stands before in a previous life as a sportbike pilot and while they work pretty well, its a two person job with a heavy bike.
I have the pit bull stands. I doubt the exhaust/swing arm gap is an issue, it only needs about 1/4". How far down the exhaust hangs could be an issue, but I thought the exhaust was the same with the 1600.

I struggled with lifting and lowering it alone on the rear stand until it occurred to me to put a piece of 2x lumber under the kickstand beforehand. Once you do that the bike will be almost vertical when on the stand and lifting/lowering becomes much easier.

I leave it on the stands for the winter. As for working on it, well, the stands only lift it a few inches, so it's still a pain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts