Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 T 100.
I was riding down the freeway at 70 mph at 3800 RPM in 5th gear, I rolled on the gas and when it got just over 4000 RPM it started cutting out like it was out of gas. It runs great under 4000 RPM, and it revs up to 6000 RPM plus in 1st , 2nd and 3rd but starts cutting out in 4th and 5th.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Its possable it could be a pinched gas line or gas cap issue (not venting properly.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Someone added a governor to keep you at safe speeds.....bummer

I would start by (with gas off) pull the fuel line from the petcock and then pu tanother length of hose on it with the other end in a catch can and turn on the gas. Let it run for a minute and see if the flow stay consistant. If it does then you can pretty much rule out clogged petcock or fualty gas cap vent. (Also as it is cutting out you can crack the gas cap but I am sure this is against some law, if it cleared up you would know it was the cap)

As others have asked if you just recently added pipes, opened the air box or changed jets you can bet it is a jetting issue.

It may be worth draining your float bolws too, to see if any hunks are present that may clog the jets. Try to catch the gas that comes out the bottom of the carbs when you back off the drain screws and see if there is stuff other than gas.

Best of luck and keep us posted. Hopefully it is fuel not electrical........these are easier to chase, at least for me.

Peace

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you have changed jets it is probably too rich. Mine did the same thing. I pulled the snorkle and it ran perfectly. It flew. Ed

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did change the air filter to a K&N and pluged the 5/8" hole in the airbox where the AI was removed. I just bought the bike, It has staintune pipes and 120 main jets and 1 shim on needle. I am not sure if it did it before, I was test riding it with the new air filter when I noticed it. I was going to reinstall the stock air filter and test it.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Was it fairly cold out, like under 55 degrees? Because after I removed my AI I found that the engine would stumble a bit on throttle roll-on in 5th gear when I was going around 60-70mph. This was due to overcooling in one way or another -- wrapping the headers solved it.

--mark

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thats it ,the snorkle is the problem, mine did the same thing, I have 120's ,k&n no shims JC Whitney short reverse cones and when I took the test ride it was ok in traffic and if I slowly increased speed it was ok but if at 3000 and opened the throttle at 4k it started to sputter and to get above 5k I had to ease off a bit on the throttle. Pulled the snorkle and it goes great. It was slightly rich and pulling the snorkle gives it a bunch more air. Ed

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Toy,

I would suggest new spark plugs--they're relatively cheap, and they should be eliminated as possibly the problem. In the old days, when my bike would rev OK in the lower gears, but would cut out in top gear, it was usually a spark plug problem--but then that was before I started running NGK's :-D

Larry

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all the input.
I have been reading past posts and looking at my bike. Here is what I found, it has a 19T front sprocket and the oil was a little to full "I drained off the extra oil" I replaced all the carb screws with allens so I can change the jets without removing the carbs. I rode it today, it ran good if you roll on slow to medium but if you roll on fast it boggs down (3/4 throttle and up)
Here is my plan for tomorrow. Install a 18T front sprocket, I have the stock 17T and a 18T, 130 main jets and remove the shims.
I am running a K&N air filter and staintune pipes.

Any other ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts