Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of a brand new '07 Bonnie Black.

I'm in Ontario, Canada and I don't have a garage (yet), so I was going to get a bike cover to protect her frm the winter. Any suggestions? Can I just use a poly tarp?

·
Registered
68 Posts
if you can afford it some dealers will store it for you for the winter... Two wheels in guelph does..not sure about inglis cycle? I've seen others who do just put a big tarp over them for the winter (one down the street) and it doesnt seem to be TOO many problems..

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Plain tarps tend to gather condensation on the inside, dripping water on your bike. Most of the bike specific covers have a bit of breathability, which may save your machine from oxidation. In addition, keeping as many of the surfaces that are chromed or painted well waxed will help. Try to get it in some sort of location that is shielded from the wind, not directly under the eaves (where water will run onto it), and out of sight from potential thieves. Finally, most covers have grommets on the bottom that allow you to place a lock that will fasten it in place, securing it just a little more substantially. In time, you may wish to invest in a Tuffshed or covered trailer that will allow you to baby your baby. Until then, you can find a good deal on a decent cover in the Cabela's catalog.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Bike covers protect your scoot from all directions and they're fitted to be fairly snug. Get the heaviest, softest one you can find.

I just bought a big enough shed to fit my bonnie in and I swear the bike gets dirtier kept inside than it did under a cover! They work great.

·
Registered
666 Posts
What? Bonnevilles outside during the winter........OUCH!

Maybe I have just been blessed or picky in my living situations, never had to abuse a bike like that. (Better watch what I say cause anything is liable to happen in life!) Maybe see about a small storage shed, easy enough to justify cause you can keep other stuff in there.

Or better yet, keep it in the living room, adds another place to sit and you will not have to use your TV that much cause you will just stare at the bike wishing for better weather! Also tinkering will happen cause if your like most of us you just cannot look, have to play with it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
That was kinda rude of me though....Congratulations on the bike! I hope you have a warm winter and get to ride often! Spring is around the corner!!!!!!!!!! You like everyone here will LOVE the bike!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think the key to covering your bike is one layer that absorbs moisture or condensation like a sheet of thick cotton or better yet a thick moving blanket like the movers use to protect nice furniture, then an outside layer to block rain like a plastic tarp. You make sure the tarp goes all the way to the ground and tie it securely. The problem is ground moisture will still come up a little bit even parked on concrete or asphalt, and possibly cause a little rust to start on your wheels/spoke nipples, engine surfaces, etc. That's why if at all possible you should find an indoor space, either at a relatives or in your living room, wherever.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Thanks for all the advice, folks! There is a bike show in Toronto next week so I'll see what there is in bike covers there.

This was my first post and it was very informative.

I love my Bonnie. I truly do. It rides and sounds and of course LOOKS beautiful!! Why did I waste all of those years without one???

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Quality bike covers..... you get what you pay for, and if it's cheap:
It doesn't breath.
It doesn't have anything to minumize burning around the pipes.
It's not water resistant/proof.
It'll fly off in the wind too easily.
It doesn't fit well
It rips easily.
etc.

One area you don't want to skimp.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Well, I have a question about covers. With the Scrambler the headers and mufflers are up high so I think a conventional cover only has the heat protection down low. Are there other covers out there, does anybody know of a suitable cover for a high pipes motorcycle like the scrambler with the heat protection up high enough, because I think the regular waterproof material might melt or get scorched if it came into contact with really hot exhaust parts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you have a living room? If not, park it in the bedroom.

·
Registered
578 Posts
My bike is garaged for the winter, and I garage it in the city as well, but I'd still like to get a cover for it, just in case I wind up parking it outside later in its life, or to cover it in the garage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts