Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike comparison in the August issue of BIKE. Streetfighter, Super Duke, Tuono, and Speed Triple. The article is more about the Ducati Streetfighter losing than it is about the KTM coming out on top. I believe our speed triple represented well. Comparisons in BIKE magazine are never easy to determine which motorcycle they consider to be superior.

·
Registered
120 Posts
the superdukes don't look like there selling very well around here.a couple of dealers have 2007's still on the floor.i could have bought one of those for 9899 out the door.i didn't like it,too much like a dirt bike with all the plastic and stickers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I tested and rode the heck out of the SD before deciding on my S3. The KTM vibrated sooooo bad; it did indeed feel like a dirt bike with a road bike motor in it. Fun bike! My S3 does have SD mirrors on it, ha!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never rode the KTM. The tuono is cool, a friend had one last year. I'm a Ducati fan and i do own one... but the audacity in naming a bike "streetfighter" is just too much for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not sure I will be able to express my sentiment. I believe that naming your newly released motorcycle "streetfighter" takes nerve. For me "streetfighter" represnts a class of motorcycles. I think naming a motorcycle "cafe racer" is equally as bad. The term "streetfighter" should not belong to any one manufacturer. Especially Ducati, a company that probably dismissed images of streetfighters up to just a few years ago. Releasing a bike and naming it the "streetfighter" like 20 years too late, is pompous. I dont think its sacriligious but its pompous, arrogant and very Ducati. Im sure the bike is amazing. The name is lame.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Very glad I took my deposit back on the Ducati SF. That horrific flat spot down low, that hokey right peg heat shield.... Yes, it weighs quite a bit less and has more HP, but it stumbles until you get past 4000rpm (a lot of my S3 riding in town is down from 2500 to 4000). And it seems everyone is slapping on $$$$ Terms.

I know money isn't a sole reason, but $8999 out the door for my new 08 S3 with Arrows vs $14,995 for a stock Ducati. No thank you.

I'll wait until it's an 1198 and the bugs are hopefully squashed.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Very glad I took my deposit back on the Ducati SF. That horrific flat spot down low, that hokey right peg heat shield.... Yes, it weighs quite a bit less and has more HP, but it stumbles until you get past 4000rpm (a lot of my S3 riding in town is down from 2500 to 4000). And it seems everyone is slapping on $$$$ Terms.

I know money isn't a sole reason, but $8999 out the door for my new 08 S3 with Arrows vs $14,995 for a stock Ducati. No thank you.

I'll wait until it's an 1198 and the bugs are hopefully squashed.
You're right, you should never get the bike you don't really want.
But you're writing "horrific flat spot" and "hokey right peg heat shield" with a passion like you have experienced it, not just read about it. I can assure you that it is not that "horrific" and "hokey". There will be always few that complain, while the silent majority enjoys every moment on it.
So the heatshield is in the way - only if you try to ride it like a cruiser, feet flat on pegs. Put your foot in proper position (ball of foot on peg) and suddenly heatshield very nicely supports it. And "flat spot" below 4k - what's new here? Which twin (Harley excluded - I'm talking sportbike here) likes this range? If you need to cruise at 2500 rpm - wouldn't scooter suit you better? You're doing it to Speedy?!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Which twin (Harley excluded - I'm talking sportbike here) likes this range?
What is the redline on one of those tractor motors anyway?

I honestly would love to test ride a Streetfighter, i think it would be fun as anything. My only complaint in the visuals is mainly in the headlight, looks to small/low, and it looks a little anime-ish, but none of those would be any indication of the bikes abilities to create a grin factor.

Sadly, i will likely never find out. My wife is still angry over me getting speedy, so i don't see any chance of getting another bike in quite some time, and i doubt i will ever meet anyone who has one.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have ridden a streetfighter. Those of you who are complaining about the flat spot below 4k are a bit off base. If it's there, I sure as heck didn't notice it. Man, the bike pulled like a nuclear explosion. Also, I didn't notice the heat shield in the way either. Maybe I was just too concerned with trying to keep the bike upright since it does almost too much in every aspect (binary throttle response, binary brakes, etc). I thought it looked pretty cool, but it still looks too techy to be a hooligan bike.

Meanwhile, I'm riding my new S3 up 10th Ave in the city on Saturday and a bunch of construction workers yelled "Nice Bike" as I rode by and signaled a big thumbs up. Something about the S3 just screams MEAN.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have experienced it. Not quite like the guys at http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=69869 but it's there. Granted the bike was also not geared down which probably would have helped a bit.

I do ride with my feet in textbook poseur streetfighter style, and that heatshield was just there.

I'm not cruising all day at 2500, but I do it more often than not and it's nice not having to worry about sputtering or puking or needing to rev the motor to a certain range to get through a slow moving line of traffic.

Don't get me wrong. Not bashing your bike or anyone's. Right now the SF is not worth it to me.

You're right, you should never get the bike you don't really want.
But you're writing "horrific flat spot" and "hokey right peg heat shield" with a passion like you have experienced it, not just read about it. I can assure you that it is not that "horrific" and "hokey". There will be always few that complain, while the silent majority enjoys every moment on it.
So the heatshield is in the way - only if you try to ride it like a cruiser, feet flat on pegs. Put your foot in proper position (ball of foot on peg) and suddenly heatshield very nicely supports it. And "flat spot" below 4k - what's new here? Which twin (Harley excluded - I'm talking sportbike here) likes this range? If you need to cruise at 2500 rpm - wouldn't scooter suit you better? You're doing it to Speedy?!

·
Registered
406 Posts
An old thread but I thought I'd contribute.
I've been a Hinckley Triumph triple fan for quite some now and still consider the 02 - 06 Daytona 955 engine to be finest of the breed. I have an '05 in the garage right now along with an '06 1050 S3. However earlier this year I was offered a 2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT that had been dropped and needed some love. It's all fixed up now and with just over 5000kms on the odo is basically a new bike. The 1290 Super Duke, R and GT, are astonishing bikes. How KTM have managed to get a 1301cc v-twin to spin up like a demented model aircraft two-stroke engine and yet still feel like a stump pulling tractor at lower revs is beyond me. Someone above said the Ducati Streetfighter pulled like a nuclear explosion. I have ridden the Streetfighter, and a Hayabusa and a Tuono and BMWs S1000RR as well as each of the Japanese sport bikes and nothing compares to the 1290. Snapping the throttle open at 60km/h in 3rd gear is so violent the first time I did it I almost let go of the bars. Reviewers around the world use words like ridiculous, ludicrous and stupid to try and describe the pull and I can see why.
Having said that the bike itself is a contradiction in so many ways. It displays so many clever and unique design elements and yet the quality level is deceptive and deceiving. Some components are beautifully made and then held together with self tapping screws. So many of the finishes that present so well at first glance and in the showroom are clearly not durable once in service. Remember, this is an expensive high end motorcycle. And the complexity of the electronics beggars belief. There are SEVEN separate CU's (control units)!

The main aspect of this that really bugs me is the need to visit the dealer for anything to do with the electronic systems. I detest having to go to dealers for anything other than spare parts. TuneBoy and TuneECU have spoilt me in this regard. I follow the KTM forums closely and there are more than a few groups trying hard to come up with a way of hacking the KTM's systems.

My fondness for Triumphs is such that I'm unlikely to keep it for long and even though I know it is totally outclassed performance wise I will likely replace it with as late a model reasonably priced Speed Triple RS as I can find.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts