Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondered what bikes people looked at before pulling the pin on the ST3.
Myself I considered the Ape Shiver and Tuono as well as the Kwak Versys and Ducati Monster 1100 and 696 as well as the Sport 1000. In the end it came down to the best bang for the buck, but I must add that I was taken in by the whole package and am one happy guy with what I got. For a blast down the freeway or extended tours though the weapon of choice remains my other ST3, the one made by Ducati.

I forgot to mention I looked at a Zook 650 ABS( the standard one), but it came up short in the power dept.

·
Registered
32 Posts
lessee... i was seriously considering the aprilia dorsoduro, but the small tank and low gas mileage was a turn off for me. also considered the husky sm610 but i think it would've been too shy in the power dept. of course i thought about the speed triple but the whole price point was too high and i couldn't find a 07 model. looked at the buell xb9/12s but they were too small for my 6'3'' self.
but the real reason i bought the street is simply because...
i wanted the triple more than the others :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
There was a local guy who had a Shiver for a few weeks and ended up returning it to Aprilia. Tons of strange problems with it, most rendering the bike unrideable.

Right now I'm torn between the Versys or the Striple. I know they are different, but still...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What other bike could possibly compare with the Street Triple(R)?

;) :)
haha I see what you mean. I was looking for a little fun bike. The Triple was the one I bought because while other bikes did some things better the St3 did more things well.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
That's a pretty good description of Triumphs generally. They aren't the best in every area, but they do more things well than most comparable models. Depending on a person's mindset, that makes for a great ownership experience.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I considered the Aprilia Shiver and the Dorsoduro but unfortunatley they have had issues. I wanted something between a supermoto and a sportbike and then the gods created the STR. Lightweight, powerfull, more comfortable then a supermoto and as much fun to ride as your girlfriend.

·
Registered
210 Posts
schleppy, the versys has a mighty high seat, at least f/ those of us not overly long of leg.

·
Registered
904 Posts
These were the bikes I was considering:

Suzuki Sv650s
Suzuki Sv650
Suzuki Sv1000
Kawasaki 650r
Honda 599
Yamaha FZ6
Triumph Street Triple

Guess you can see my taste, lol. The Striple is just so darn mean and sexy-looking, then once you hear the engine it's all over. :)

Neanderthal

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yamaha FZ6
Yamaha XJ6 - not bad for a budget bike
Honda Cb600f Hornet
Ducati 696
Standard ST3

Ended up with an orange ST3R. If I couldn't stretch the budget to the triumphs, I would of gone with the Hornet.

Hated the 696 which was in the same price bracket as the ST3.

At the end of the day, it was looks, rideability and the awesome engine that won me over.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I owned an FZ6 for two years in fact my son owns it now and I occasionally ride it

It really doesn't compare to the Street triple, the only area it scores over the Street is wind protection (assuming you go for the semi faired version of course!)

Absolutely gutless engine under 8K
Handling not in the same league as the ST3
Brakes quite good but not as Good as the ST3 and miles behind the ST3R
Exahust note absolutely yuk (what there is of it!)
Finish very poor (it's actually made in China!)
I had several problems with it altho they got fixed under warranty I havent had a single issue with the ST3 which in my experience kind of debunks the myth about Jap reliability compared to Triumph's

Sorry if it sounds terrible, it's not
Well not until you compare it to the Street lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Neandethal,

Ride them all, and you'll be amazed at how much better the Triumph feels.

I rode a fir few before buying mine, and have not regretted it one bit. The only problem I have is on the open road - it lacks at speeds over 110. But then if you're doing those speeds regularly, the the street isn't the bike. You need fairing, and more grunt.

Otherwise, the Street will keep up with anything around the twisties. Comes down to the rider. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,756 Posts
I owned an FZ6.............Sorry if it sounds terrible, it's not
Well not until you compare it to the Street lol
Can't agree with you more I owned a 2005 FZ6 until last December. Great bike fun to ride. Very reliable at least most of them and mine was. Once you own the STriple you just want to - on FZ6s. But what could I expect from a bike I paid $4,000 less for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts