Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
The longest that I've owned a bike was nine years, the shortest was one year. I've only bought two new bikes in decades of riding so the slew of used bikes didn't always last too long. When I say slew, from the Gaelic, not the dozens of bikes that others on this forum have owned. I just realized my Daytona is approaching 10 years of ownership, but in storage for the past 4 years. I guess when I put back on the road, it will feel like a free used bike.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Currently have one that I've had for over 30 years and the shortest I've owned one is about an hour.

Typically 3-4 years, but always have more than 1 at a time. Which is normal.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Probably 4 years. But I always bought new until the three I own now. They were very specific wants, and unlikely I’ll part with any of them. Never the TBS.

·
Registered
114 Posts
About 5 seconds. I just get off the Thunderbird and jump on the Bonneville which is parked next to it :)

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I've been averaging about 2 years - hence my Tiger is currently for sale :)
I was trying several bikes this decade. Then I found a lightly used, fully kitted, 2nd gen. XRx Spring of last year. I'm done looking. It's the perfect bike for me. I do prefer the TBS for day trips, just because its so cool looking and sounds nicer than the Tiger, but otherwise, I can't imagine selling the Tiger. I just came back from a weekend in VT and got 60 mpg's on a group ride where I had to behave myself.:| I can't imagine what I'd replace it with.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Have had one bought new for 43 years and another for 13. If they work there's no point of letting them go. The non-Triumphs, that's another story.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Can I take that back?
Actually, not bending to the latest, greatest motorcycle trend is honorable and thrifty, 2 qualities I try and practice.
I keep forgetting that, once you've spent a certain amount of time with a bike, it doesn't owe you anything. You've kept yours longer than that, and then some! Good on ya!

Unfortunately, I've had to sell a bike in order to buy one.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Great philosophy if you can afford it.

The oldest was $1500. The newer about $5000 (a leftover), both new, so it doesn't take long before a look back doesn't pain the wallet at all nor have enough value to let them go. Having a good (reputable) manufacturer helps. The good news is that they appreciate at a certain point.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Hi
How long does it take you before you change your bikes?

I tend to research and hem and haw so long that I get distracted and the urge to change passes. Looking back, that seems be a good thing.
It reminds me of a quiz in college where we had to solve an Engineering problem in as many ways as we knew how. By the time it was finished I'd be overexposed to the idea didn't want to ever hear about it again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts