Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got off the highway and bike basically conked out. Would not start. Turned the ignition off/on, bike started, went 50 ft., died again. Walked the bike to the side of the road. Thinking fuses. Checked them all, all good. Started the bike. Idled perfect. Thought I was good to go. Got on the bike to go, and as soon as I revved it, bike died.

Right now, bike is parked among wheel barrows at TSC.

It's too late to monkey around with it. If I were to guess, it's a fuel issue. Could not hear the fuel pump, or my ears were just tired.

Any ideas before I start pulling everything off? Any hoses, connectors, etc., come to mind? Again, it idled, but when you hit the throttled, it died, and would not start back up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could it be an injector issue? I have a posi-tap on the #1 Injector signal wire. Could it have broke and caused this issue? Are those vacuum lines on the left side of the tank? I guess I'll have to pull it all apart soon.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you mean the hoses that are connected to the lower left side of the tank 1 is an overflow and the other is a breather. Make sure they're not blocked up. I had a similar issue last year and it turned out to be a loose connection in the fuse box. Other than not hearing the pump prime do you have juice everywhere else, dash still lights up?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howdy-

Yes, dash lights, etc. Bike turns over, but will not start after getting it to run. When it did start, it idled great, but as-soon as I put it into gear and went to ride off, it died.

So, I can count the hoses out. The fuse box will be my next place to look.

·
Super Moderator
22,136 Posts
Could it be an injector issue? I have a posi-tap on the #1 Injector signal wire. Could it have broke and caused this issue?
Doubtful
Are those vacuum lines on the left side of the tank? I guess I'll have to pull it all apart soon.
One is the scupper drain and the other is the tank vent; the vent line should have a roll-over valve on it - important that is vertical; if on its side then tank won't breathe and you'll create a vac lock in the tank.
You would know if this is issue if you get big inrush when you open the gas cap.
Not saying that is necessarily your problem but that's what hoses are for.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Howdy all. Thank you for the responses. Yes, bike has bee. running smooth. If I were a betting man, I'd bet the fuel pump relay is directly under the seat? Reason I ask is that I have crammed a bunch of electrical mods under the seat, and I wonder if the seat knocked the relay loose, or shorted it out?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yksfe4pjhs2k9pi/Screenshot_20160524-174733.png?dl=0

·
Super Moderator
22,136 Posts
... If I were a betting man, I'd bet the fuel pump relay is directly under the seat? ...
Is this a monetary bet? Beer?

I call your bet & I raise you - I bet you will NEVER find the fuel pump relay :FlyingPig

:D

(incidentally those error codes were most likely posted when you had the tank off and turned ignition on and not a current issue)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, ur right. That's why I'm not a betting man, lol. I'm reading all of your old posts concerning the exact same issue other's have faced.

However, those errors codes are new since the bike conked out. I spent the weekend re-mapping the bike, etc., and have cleared the fuel level code many times. Those codes came when the bike stopped running.

I do know the plug that goes into the sender has a broken tab, so I wonder if that became disconnected? It should be an easy troubleshoot.

·
Super Moderator
22,136 Posts
... However, those errors codes are new since the bike conked out ...
I do know the plug that goes into the sender has a broken tab, so I wonder if that became disconnected? ...
It would be an odd coincidence for both the Fuel Pump connection AND the Level Sender to be both bad at same time, hence appearing to be more likely a holdover from the tank removal.
It is possible I suppose that you hadn't latched the fuel pump connector properly and the fuel level sensor is coming detached because of the broken latch.
So all you can do is check the connections, clear the errors and see if they return

p.s. If those issues that had been uncleared after service (tank removal), then the MIL light would have been on while riding.
The Fuel level sender would not cause the bike to stop running, but of course the pump would.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The fuel level sensor has caused the the MIL to remain on indefinitely while the gas tank has been full. So, even before the bike conked out, the MIL was on due to the fuel level issue. But, that was the only code. I cleared it prior to riding that day.

The fuel pump connector's tab is broken, so it does not latch securely. So, going by other posts in other threads, and there being no fuel pump relays, it's sounds like a good presumption that during riding, the fuel pump connector became disconnected.

The fuel sender code is irrelevant to my issue, in my opinion.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And, I mispoke in an earlier post: fuel level vonnector is good, the fuel pump connector is the one with the broken tab.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
to DEcosse

Because I don't like to suggest things unless I'm half way sure I know what I'm talking about, this to DEcosse.

If the retainer to the fuel return line at the tank was not latched correctly and the line parted ways, could this issue be the results? Or would fuel shoot from the line?

And could this be a clogged or otherwise bad fuel filter, allowing enough flow for idle but not for running?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's an interesting question Rubber, but in my instance, I believe the code is the tell, according to DEcosse in another thread:

When you clear the errors do they come back?
They could be hold-over from if you turned on ignition when the pump was disconnected. So first off clear them & see if they immediately return
There is no fuel pump relay on the 02 system - so if throwing the errors for fuel pump it means the pump is not connected. If the electrical connector looks fine (no wires broken) then appears it may be disconnected inside.
Did you have the pump plate off the tank to retro the metal quick disconnects? If so you may have disturbed the electrical.
Re the fuel sender code - did you remmeber to plug that back in? That is on underside of tank - easy to forget/miss.

The ECM is on the front outer face of the battery box.

Who is "they"? Previous owner?
Describe in more detail what you found (individual wire colours)

There are two (typically) unused connectors on majority of market models:
one is the SAI connector; the other is CA-only purge valve connector.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, two codes pertaining to the fuel pump relays, and one pertaining to the sender. The sender is a common issue that we should ignore, the other two codes show that the fuel pump is not connected (possibly disconnected)

Will update after work.

·
Super Moderator
22,136 Posts
... The sender is a common issue that we should ignore ...
We (or at least I) shouldn't ignore it - although for the context I think you meant in relation to the bike cutting out.

Here is a potential solution - been looking for someone to execute this change to see if it resolves

I discovered that the Sprint does not have this issue (Low Fuel Light on when tank is Full) but is very prevalent on the S3/Daytona; then I recognized there is a difference in how the sensor is wired on the different models.

http://www.triumphrat.net/daytona-d...-fuel-light-after-filling-up.html#post7730394

In short - cut the black ground wire at the sender connector (main harness side) and then connect a new wire and run up to splice into the 1/G4 wire near the ECU connector

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I see that DEcosse. I may do that this weekend.

So, quick update: Pull the bike out (was on battery tender). Pull codes before start-up: all three were there. Clear them. Starts easily. Revs, etc. Pull codes,notta. Shut bike off, turn it back on. Pull codes, notta.

Pull C.F. side panel off, look around. Nothing disconnected. Push on the fuel pump connector. Seems solid. Twenty seconds later, bike dies. Pull codes: both fuel pump relay codes.

Going back out to maybe fiddle with the connector, and make sure it was not a coincidence. DEcosse sent me a link for a replacement connector. If that's my issue, good deal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts