Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
R.e. the rear tire and fender area:

Can you put a bigger rear tire on to better fill the fender area, so it doesn't look like it's raised quite so high?

I know you can with the Vulcan 900 Custom (which has the same type of high fender profile)...here is its similar stock look:

With the Vulcan, you can take the stock 180 up to a 200 to better fill that rear area, and without any modification. Some even take it up to 230, though that does require some modification(s). Same aesthetic option w/ the TBird? Or does the bike's build and wheel well spacing require you to keep the stock size?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Greetings,

I've inquired about the same at my dealer... and what we have found is that there are few tires out there to fit the Tbird... Even finding the same brand front & rear is limited.

hagatha

·
Registered
684 Posts
Another option you could look into is a custom rear fender that sits lower on the sides. Putting a taller tire on will shorten the distance the suspension can travel, so you'd be sacrificing performance for looks. Bringing the fender down on the sides a couple of inches will change the look, but keep the travel.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greetings,

I've inquired about the same at my dealer... and what we have found is that there are few tires out there to fit the Tbird... Even finding the same brand front & rear is limited.

hagatha
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Oh well, it wasn't a necessary change, just would've been nice. TBird's a great-looking bike either way.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The standard tire on the back is a 200/50R17... I am currently using a 200/55R17, and it fits fine. The tire is about 2cm taller in diameter, and that doesn't cause any problems at all for height issues. It does throw the calibration of the speedometer off, however, and I am now showing 2-3% less than actual, rather than 2-3% more than actual.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The standard tire on the back is a 200/50R17... I am currently using a 200/55R17, and it fits fine. The tire is about 2cm taller in diameter, and that doesn't cause any problems at all for height issues. It does throw the calibration of the speedometer off, however, and I am now showing 2-3% less than actual, rather than 2-3% more than actual.
Can you post a picture of your bike from the side so we can see the visual difference (if any)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts