Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a recent ride I noticed that the rear brake on my ’79 T140D was dragging and the disk was very warm. I bought this motorcycle off the showroom floor in June 1981. This pic was taken after I'd owned it for about a year.

This isn’t the first time I’ve had brake problems. Both master cylinders failed within the first five years; I rebuilt the front m/c and replaced the rear. The bike was made in February 1979, so I figured the problems were due to old fluid corroding the innards and let it go at that. (I did, however, start replacing the brake fluid once a year.)

When I noted the dragging brake last weekend I figured it was the master cylinder again and had a major dread of replacing it: expensive and a real bitch of a job. I went through my shop manual and none of the suggested fixes helped. Gloom. As a last resort (who asks for directions, right?) I tried the search engine on this site. Bingo! The hose!

Fortunately for me, I live near a good parts outlet, Raber’s in San Jose, so I bought the hose and the washers and replaced the parts. When I had the old hose off I tried shooting some parts cleaner through it; no dice. You guys were right: the hose had collapsed and it would allow fluid to move only with the pressure provided by the master cylinder.

I rode the old girl up to Skylonda today and the rear brake worked like a charm. I plan to replace the two front hoses this week; after all, they are also thirty years old.

Anyway, a big THANKS to those of you who answer the technical questions and to the people who keep the site up and running.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
mtds
couple of questions
In both pictures I note almost a complete lack of coloring to head pipes how are your carbs jeted?
What bike is the replacement front fender from in the second picture?
Last did you have a clearence problem with the side stand when you fitted the drive side exhaust pipe and what bike/year are the pipes from?

GPZ
the mufflers look to be TOGA brand TRS39 mufflers JRCpart #78-5866/T140

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
In both pictures I note almost a complete lack of coloring to head pipes how are your carbs jeted?
What bike is the replacement front fender from in the second picture?
Last did you have a clearence problem with the side stand when you fitted the drive side exhaust pipe and what bike/year are the pipes from?
I keep a log on the bike, so I can actually answer some of your questions.

Regarding carb jetting... At the time Triumph shops were offering a "factory-approved" replacement muffler: a Jardine TMA-410. When I installed that, I also installed a carb rejetting kit from an outfit called Burak By-Products. This is the jetting setup from that kit: throttle slide 3.5, throttle needle 2A1, needle position 2of 5 (counting from the top), pilot jet 15, pilot air jet removed, needle jet .106, main jet no change (200) cold start jet no change (25). These changes transformed the way the engine breathed; it had felt strangled compared to other Triumphs I'd owned. I didn't change the jetting when I replaced the two-into-one exhaust setup. I run N-3 plugs and the pipes do blue eventually, left one first. I'd like to know why the left does that. (???)

Regarding the front fender, it was an undrilled generic that I drilled to fit the stock mounting hardware.

Regarding the side stand, no problem. However, the center stand is a different part number on a D, so I bought and installed one from an E, although I don't remember whether that was absolutely necessary or not.

Regarding the exhaust, the pipes are 71-7507UT and 71-7508UT, at least according to Big D Cycle where I bought them in '97. The packaging on the mufflers said "TOGA TRD12 MADE IN ENGLAND" and Big D called them 71-4159B. I don't know how accurate these numbers are; for example, Big D might have just grabbed whatever packaging was handy for shipping. So please take it all with a grain of salt. I hope it helps!

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
mtds: Well done.

We are alike in that I document every penny i spend on every one of my bikes (for over 25 years now), and every little change, ESPECIALLY jetting!

I like the original D model seat, why did you change?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
mtds: I like the original D model seat, why did you change?

You are being very tactful about the seat! Thanks for that.

Anyway, when the bike was newer and I was younger, I took some long rides on it. The longest by far was a 2,000 mile trip through California, Arizona, and Nevada. The stock seat was too thin for a long day in the saddle; at the end, I'd feel like I was sitting directly on top of the battery.

Here's a pic of the bike on the east side of the the Sierra Nevada:

I removed the original foam and cover (and saved it) and had the present "breadbox" made. It came out a little thicker than I wanted, but I'm fairly long legged so the extra height isn't a problem and it is comfortable.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
mtds
Thought I was the only one who remembered the Triumph/Jardine replacement muffler. Talked to a Jardine Rep at the Indy dealer show a few years ago and he looked at me like I was nuts.
The carb set up is like what I used to sell 'cept we used a #35 pilotjet.
It was probably a good thing you changed th cstand as the difference between to T140D
stand and the other T140 stand is the length/shape of the foot bracket probably would havevhit the pipes
I have about 8 of those mufflers still in the original box & the TOGA number on them is TRS39 who knows maybe they chaged their part number. 71-4159 is the original prt number used by Triumph for the factory T140V/E 1976 up mufflers. I assume the B was the sellers addition to show that these were the TOGA muff's. The exhaust pipe numbers quoted are from about 81/82 after Triumph went back to the spigoted head.
one more question what happend to your sidecovers?
By the way welcome to the site
K

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mtds
I have about 8 of those mufflers still in the original box & the TOGA number on them is TRS39 who knows maybe they chaged their part number. 71-4159 is the original prt number used by Triumph for the factory T140V/E 1976 up mufflers. I assume the B was the sellers addition to show that these were the TOGA muff's. The exhaust pipe numbers quoted are from about 81/82 after Triumph went back to the spigoted head.
one more question what happend to your sidecovers?
By the way welcome to the site
K
Thanks, Kadutz, for the clarification on the mufflers and exhaust pipes. I didn't know any of that. I just bought them based on Big D's recommendation and recorded any numbers I could find; no expert here.

You guys already know, I'm sure, that I had the head drilled and tapped to accept spigots so that I could get away from the push-in exhausts. That went well, but I was astonished at the tar-like residue that had built up in the intake ports. It didn't seem like normal coking. At the time I guessed it had to do with the engine breather being routed into the airbox, so I rerouted that breather along the left side of the frame and rear fender. Terrible air cleaning setup on this model. I've tried a couple of air cleaner solutions and I'm looking for whatever is the latest solution. A little help, here, maybe?

To answer your question about the side covers, I took off the airbox side covers because they rattled and whistled. That could probably have been cured, but it was easier to just take them off, and then wax/wrap/store them. I also took off the chromed caliper covers because I thought the calipers looked good "naked" and I couldn't see any functional reason to leave them on.

Thanks for the welcome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts