Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While checking valve clerances on my 2012 1600 I managed to let a feeler gauge slip out of my oily finger and straight down the timing chain opening. So far I have not managed to see or fish it out with a small telescoping magnet tool and I'm not sure I am going to either. The question is does anyone know if there is anything below the timing chain/gears that the gauge could get stuck on and cause damage? Or will it just drop down to the sump and lay there quietly.
Thanks for any words of wisdom short of "you have to disassemble the motor".
Martin

·
Registered
358 Posts
Leaving it there is a very very bad idea. Not only because it will almost surely damage the engine but it could potentially stay out of the way till the moment you're doing 80MPH then decide to dislodge and lock the engine and therefore the rear wheel. My advice before you do anything major like engine disassembly would be to try and fish it out with a magnet. They have a magnet rod type tool made specifically for fishing parts out of engines that u should be able to find at any auto parts store. That would be the first thing to try IMO. Good luck, that really is a horrible situation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part of the problem is getting past the cam chain to fish for the feeler gauge. If someone could comment on how to remove the cam chain I would think I would have a better chance of finding the feeler gauge.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Another part of the problem is the feeler gauge is likely stainless steel and therefore not magnetic!

·
Administrator
11,245 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sell endoscopes pretty cheap that you can put down there to try and visualize where the thing is. Like this: USB Endoscope 3 in 1 Borescope 5.5mm Ultra Thin Waterproof Inspection Snake Camera Micro USB and Type C for OTG Android, PC, Notebooks Windows Mac with 5M 16.4FT Semi-Rigid Cord with LED Light: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

It sucks man, just take your time. Certainly don't run or turn over the motor until you have it out.
Great idea.......I have one on order from Amazon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have any insight into what is below the cam chain sprocket? I am considering removing the head to get further into the bowels of the motor but the decision would be easier if I had some idea what is below. The scope will help with that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have experience in the "oh s**t" department so I feel your pain. Have you tried blowing compressed air where it fell? Maybe it would move to a place where you can get it. If you can't get it from the top; is their a chance it went all the way into the oil pan. Remove the oil pan, if it's not their maybe you could fish it out from below. good luck

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Ah, brings back memories of the guy who dropped something into the oil fill port. That thread is legend around here.
Removing the cam chain is quite involved, best to keep fishing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SUCCESS!!
So the camera arrrived today and I must say for $50 it is a nice tool to have. It is 1080P and the image is excellent. I have attached a few pics, one showing the feeler gauge STANDING UP in the engine, if you can believe it, beside the timing chain sprocket. I made a magnetic fishing "line" by attaching a very small magnet to the side of a coat hanger. The first time I had a hold of it, it was hanging off the magnet by the .004" edge of the feeler gauge and didn't make it out. Lucky for me it was still standing up after it let go and I was able to go back in and snag it on the flat part.
Thanks to everyone's words of encouragement. The camera idea was for sure the secret to success.
And now back to valve adjusting..........

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Patience, perseverance and a great community come through! Way to go man!
Good point. This is indeed a great community. I think it speaks well of the type of person who enjoys riding an awesome bike llke the 'Bird.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I once dropped a nut into an open Chevy intake manifold after removing the carburetor. After trying to fish it out with a magnet for 2 days I finally couldn't take it anymore. My neighbors young son heard me complaining and came over and asked if he could help. He was maybe 12 years old. I told him I would pay him $50 if he got the nut out. He sat on top of that engine for almost 4 hours with that magnet on the string and then handed me the nut. He earned that $50. Love a great ending to an engine disaster story.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts