Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been doing my homework and I am getting to that point where everything is starting to mix together in a whirl of "What was I doing again, Oh yeah?". I am about 6'2"+ and find the stock bars (Bonnie) OK but want something with a bit more style YET comfort...does that even exist? I don't want to be laying on the tank all day nor do I want to be sitting up like I'm in boarding school. Pretty picky aye? So what do you suggest...I've seen the pics of M bars (I like), Super bars (I like), Flat track (I like), but I'm not sure the praises of those riders and those bars will work for me being that we are different body types? Any 6' plus guys or gals have any pics or stories? Everyone please chime in...Thanks.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
6'-2" +
Your a freaking giant on a Bonnie.
Where are your knees up in your arm pits.

OK. only kidding, I don't want to mess with a 6'-2"+ guy.
But anyway I found that the bar risers from newbonneville
brought my bars up just right.
Bill

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'm just a hair over 6' and love the position of the Superbars. They stretch me out nicely without feeling like I'm leaning forward and hugging the tank.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
At 6'2 you probably have long arm's relatively speaking to mine. I recently installed drag bar's from a HD shop on my bike 39.95 ...no riser's installed mind you.

While I cant turn the bar's fully due to them wanting to hit the tank because I'm not using riser's the riding position seem's rather comfortable. This is the first bike I've ever rode where I'm leaning forward somewhat, and I've found that by doing so it straighten's my back out...very comfortable. My back always bothered me somewhat while using the stock bars.

My riser's showed up today, I'm going to install these and give her another whirl if we have any 45* plus day's anymore this year.

Having longer arm's should keep you from feeling like your laying on the tank.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I have the low cafe bars from newbonneville.com, they're lower and wider than stock. If you have a long torso/arms you may like them, if you're wanting to lean over a tad bit more than stock, ok a lot more than stock.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Am just shy of 6' 2". Switched over to flat track bars a short time ago. Think you tend to sit a little taller as the bars are a hair higher than stock and pull back an inch or so more. I like the look vs the stock bars.

Actually the bike is very comfortable for us tall guys. My only problem is shoulder/neck pain if I ride to long. Didn't have any problems prior to hitting the ground on the left shoulder a few months ago.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ouch, RT! Sorry to hear that you suffered an impact to your physical structure.

I'm 6' even, and I really like the posture the bars I've got put me in, and they're more reminiscent of the original (by which I mean the 60's 650s). They're the "wide Clubman" by Flanders. They're worth some attention...

I've found that I always have to alter the hand positions on any bike I buy, and also the seat, suspension, and breathing.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yeah I don't bounce like I used to.

Take a look at the flanders Triumph vintage bars.

6 rise 8 pullback 6.5 center 30.5 wide

They look like they would be really nice bars, but wonder if stock cables would still work????

Revolt would take a look at the Flanders site, great selection

·
Registered
41 Posts
650central.com, a site devoted to Yamaha XS650's, has a ton of different designs at great prices. I've used them on my streettracker and my scrambler with much success.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Revolt: I'm 6'3" and 225#, and have been an AARP member for several years. The bars that fit me the best are the BellaCorse Sport Bars. They are wider than the stockers, with a bit less rise and pullback. It takes a little weight off of the sit bones, spreads it out out over the back of the thighs, and adds a bit of weight to your wrists. I also use the Triumph Solo saddle which allows me to slide back on the seat, and even put my feet on the passenger pegs for high speed riding. I also have the Triumph flyscreen which takes most of the wind blast off of my chest, but kinda lets me rest on the wind. This combo has worked really well for me, and is almost as comfortable on the highway as my Sprint ST. Around town at slower speed I've had no problems either. Plus, the price is right, at about $40-45.

The BC Sport Bars have exceptional quality in the chrome. They look really good, and frequently receive positive comments from other Bonnie riders. Cheers, tommyturbo2

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone...I think I'll give the Sport bars and the Super bars a run...I don't mind spending good money when it goes towards something that improves. I rode today...trying to focus souly on where the discomfort is, Hands? Shoulders? so on...it was hard to pay attention though with the 32 degree temps and 70 mph speed...and the back pack was throwing my natural riding position off too...Thanks again everyone!! I'll keep you posted...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know a guy 6'6" who rides a honda andlooks like a stick insect on wheels I had a great set of bars on first bonne 6" riser (alas, haven't we all ) and a good sweep back, really comfy I have been looking for something similar but I can't find anything close but then I am only a munchkin 5'7 thats why I ride a bonne , my legs are more like stumps and I can get a nice sit one foot on the ground and the other ready to kick it into gear and leave the moms and pops sitting at the lights.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Bars, windshields, and seats are sooooo objective. I'm STILL messing around with all sorts of bars and combinations.

Yesterday I put my favorite bars back on the bike; bars that after a half dozen attempts to find the 'right' set up afforded me the MOST comfort.
- but -
since adding rear-set foot controls, I have transcended into a whole different kind of comfort AND security.

On a Bonnie I put over 22,000 miles, I settled on my old bars from a 2000 XL1200'S'..... perfect. However, over the thousands of miles I put on my 2005 BonnieBlack, I concluded that THE BIKE needs more weight bias over the front end. That is to say, when I was sporting M Bars I NEVER got any front-end wiggle at 90 to 110 mph. On a rather long trip, I also discovered that I could arrest said wiggle (at speed), by sitting more forward and shifting more of my weight over the bars.

So I go for a ride last night with my Sportster bars, and in my comfort.... realize that my bike didn't seem ANYWHERE near as 'planted' as it did with those HD Drag Bars I've been sporting recently.

Make of this what you will, but I belong to the camp who enjoys the new-found comfort of rear sets and low bars. Consider also that if you create an arc in your back as you lean forward, you're making of your spine a natural shock absorbing support system that flex's, bends, and absorbs that unruly shock of hitting a pot-hole. Oddly enough, it makes hours on the road more tolerable, your body ergo's more efficient in the onslaught of 60 mph wind, and....... you look better, more swoopy doopy, and faster. And how you look is a pretty important consideration. It's said women "dress for one another".... and bikers gotta be look'n tough-n-fine if your represent'n Bonnieville!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Go to a Harley dealer and look at the Sportsters.
Find a set of handlebars you like (you'll get to see what they look like on a bike), and order them.
They aren't expensive, I just got a set for $51.00.
They are 1" and will fit on the Bonnie, (I have a pair on my bike).

·
Registered
196 Posts
I bought my bike used, so I'm not sure what kind of bars these are. But they're pretty wide, and I have to lean forward a bit while riding. I'm about 6' tall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts