Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone put a larger fuel tank on a Speed Triple? A friend wants to buy one of these and put a Tiger fuel tank on it. Would it work?
If not, any custom fabricated tank examples?

·
Registered
91 Posts
ive been thiking the same thing,carbonfibre would be nice but there is a place called the tank shop in dumfries scotland who would be able to make one in alluminium.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds cool. Maybe six or seven gallons, with a flat enough top to hold a tankbag?
If there are a few other interested parties, maybe the cost could be shared. Gotta be cheaper to build the second, third, fourth...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Why would you want to have a larger and heaver fuel load? Assuming you get 40mpg, that's 160 miles before you hit reserve. I for one like to stop and stretch once in a while. If you ride on the balls of your feet (as you should on this bike) 160 is a good distance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
ive been thiking the same thing,carbonfibre would be nice but there is a place called the tank shop in dumfries scotland who would be able to make one in alluminium.
Carbon fiber tanks are EXTREMELY expensive if they are quality. A quality CF tank will have kevlar in it which also makes it heavier per sq/ft of CF than most CF components. The kevlar is required because CF has very poor impact and abrasion characteristics. One drop of the bike and your entire tank is destroyed throwing fuel everywhere.

I only know all this because I was thinking about one myself and did a good bit of reading up on the subject. Found out that while its a cool idea...its not very practical.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would you want to have a larger and heaver fuel load? Assuming you get 40mpg, that's 160 miles before you hit reserve. I for one like to stop and stretch once in a while. If you ride on the balls of your feet (as you should on this bike) 160 is a good distance.
My friend wants a naked bike with a very long range. His current ride is an old R80GS - works for him but he'd like to move up a few decades in technology. He likes my Tiger, but he wants a shorter bike - with no bodywork. All in how you use it, I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts