Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my New Bonneville chrome Monza gas cap kit yesterday and I am extremely disappointed in the quality of the product. The cap had numerous pits, blemishes, and imperfections on it, especially along both sides of the ridge that runs down both sides of the cap and there was a scratch on top of the cap. I have emailed New Bonneville and requested that they send me a replacement cap/kit and a return shipping label.

For $159.00 I expected a much better product so I am hoping the replacement cap will live up to my expectations. How have you all faired with your New Bonneville gas caps?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hallo, all

You can better make it your self a gas cap.
Its very low-priced of aluminium, round 70 cm ( 2,15 feet ? )
It fits on your own cas cap when flat, when not rub out (erase ?) the bottom a little bit.
Make it fast with double adhesive tape.
Charges of one part of alloy per cab € 2,00 $ 2,8 ????

Cheers jan.

·
Registered
81 Posts
New Bonneville Monza Cap

This spring I got a chromed cap from New Bonneville. It was perfect.

By the way it was packaged It appeared that the cap itself was sourced from another vendor.

Let us know what New Bonneville does to rectify the situation.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hallo, all

It fits on your own cas cap when flat, when not rub out (erase ?) the bottom a little bit.

Cheers jan.

QUOTE]

Nicely done.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New Bonneville responded promptly by email and stated they would pick out and send me the best cap that they had in stock. It shipped yesterday so I should receive it by Friday, I hope. I'll let you all know how it looks. But I do appreciate their quick response.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
"It pays to advertise !" :D

Good on 'em, that's what customer service is all about !

----------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Jan: Am I to understand you carved and polished this by hand, out of aluminum billet, and then glued it to the top of the factory cap?

Hallo, all

Cheers jan.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hallo Cafetbird, ( good name)

Post foto,s hope you understand (sorry i was limited to using 4 images) ,its a good recept for the finecial cricis.

One day work.
Its fits now four 2 jear,s all wether.

Cheers Jan.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Jan: Am I to understand you carved and polished this by hand, out of aluminum billet, and then glued it to the top of the factory cap?
That custom cap looks cool!

Could you make another for a fee?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Beautiful job, Jan!!!
That is art work!!!
Right. How many people own the machining tools that are needed to make that? How many people have the skills to operate those machines or to craft that gas cap? I don't think it's realistic at all for 99% of us to make our own gas caps or other custom aluminum or chrome parts. It's certainly cost prohibitive to buy the tools and machinery. $159.99 is pretty darn cheap as compared to doing it yourself.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
But the kicker is that he made that mostly by hand with files and a hand grinder!
If I tried that I'd keep taking a little off each side to make things even until there was nothing left but a pile of aluminum dust.
That's why I don't wear sideburns!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Apology (sorry) Magoo its not my intent to say you ar doing wrong but only a alternative (option)
Sorry you do wrong understand that.

Im not a machines operator, i do complete other work.

Its so KD5Q0Q describe (tell) i only make use of files and hand grinder .(thanks KD5Q0Q you understand it)

This is the second time i have a mistake with a post here, so will not do it again, it lost in global translation.( i thought foto,s are always good for understanding)

Cheers and happy new year. Jan.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Apology (sorry) Magoo its not my intent to say you ar doing wrong but only a alternative (option)
Sorry you do wrong understand that.

Im not a machines operator, i do complete other work.

Its so KD5Q0Q describe (tell) i only make use of files and hand grinder .(thanks KD5Q0Q you understand it)

This is the second time i have a mistake with a post here, so will not do it again, it lost in global translation.( i thought foto,s are always good for understanding)

Cheers and happy new year. Jan.
Jan, I think you should continue to post-I'm sorry I missed your pics before you took them down. I'd be very interested to see them.

On another thing, I bought the lockable Triumph cap, the shop said it would fit Bonnevilles and Thunderbirds and it went on okay. But it could be a bit of a pig to unlock at time and could also cause fuel starvation, so I took it off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hoi Scot,

I have no idea wat type ( grade) aluminium it is, i buy it on a motorcycle fair 3 year ago,i had no idea what to do wiht it,now i and you now.
Yes you must try,alu is actully quite easy to work with.
Place send a piture when its succes to you, when a help just 1 guy with this idea, a ar happy.

I have a question for you, i thank you ar like the cafe racer style to, or other people of this forum.
Do you no someone the have on the original TBS fueltank a striping, i work on it, but its not good jet.( look foto)
Do you (now) have foto,s from people the do that.?? ( for inspiration)

Cheers jan.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts