Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I know that a lot of people are running the 904 kits, but as anyone tried or know of anyone that is running the 994 bb from british customs, I have looked everywhere for some kind of info on this kit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On 2006-11-15 15:05, 69bonney wrote:
ok I know that a lot of people are running the 904 kits, but as anyone tried or know of anyone that is running the 994 bb from british customs, I have looked everywhere for some kind of info on this kit.
The reason why you haven't seen anything on this:

It requires block machining & carrillo type rods Plus a sroker type crank..this whole thing is VERY expensive...just to get 90cc ncrease in cubic inches. When you do this stunt, the recipcating weight goes up and robs the x power..so you have to make a certain amount of power to pull this.I am not so sure the outcome is worth the money being spent. If a guy wants more power than the 904 kit.I think he'd be much better off going the turbo charging route & putting some good light weight pistons & pins..something like .090 wrist pins & then put a rpm limiter on the engine to keep the power down. A turbo on this engine will make 145-150 hp 2 the rear wheel.
To me this is a lot better than having to change & run a (long camshaft) which has very little bottom in and is not very streetable. Don't for get, compression makes Troque & hp.
Torque is what moves a bike,car,truck from a light.plus gearing of coarse. I am not so sure you could raise the compressions 2 ratio's..you'd be there.You could do this with a thinner head gasket & milling the head.
feel free to email mne @[email protected]
I stay almost to busy to get up here and other site's.
:-D

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
wrong.

the 994 is just a bigger bore, does not do any stroking whatsoever. You do have to machine the block to accept the larger bore (904 is the biggest the stock block will handle). Hopefully when the whole thing is apart you'll install carillo rods, but not necessary.

Wiseco makes a 988 stroker big bore kit, that requires a stroked crank and other machining. Figure about $2000 US in parts and machine work alone, plus the engine teardown/rebuild, but you will get 90-95hp and 70+ ft lbs of torque at the wheel.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Really ! Is that (90-95 HP) with no other mods aside for the typical unrestriction stuff? If so, thats amazing. Not that i'd go there, but for those who want the HP that seems like the simplest way to go. Not simple in terms of money, but for 2k all you do is drop you bike at the dealer and pick it up with that kinda HP it seems like a lot less trouble for the HP gains. I wonder why few seem to go there. If you consider what guys like dinqua have gone thru to get 10-15 hp less than that it makes it look like the way to go. I wonder if the clutch can handle that kinda HP tho?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Jojje's bike handles 2 times that...

Daz, it's 2k for parts and machining alone, not including the engine teardown and rebuild, plus the "usual" mods as you say.

Figure stock bike plus 1k (for usual mods), plus 2k for stroker, throw on the HSR41 mikunis for another 1400, and yer done!

Fast ass bike for just under 15,000. that's a lot of moohla, not including ANY labor.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Jojje uses a self-made billet clutch basket for his drag bikes, not sure what he uses on his street bike(s).

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have a friend who has worked with Matt at So. Bay Triumph on his bonnie.He has (I think )the 994 kit ,FCR carbs.Predators,airbox elim.....it puts out about 93/4 rwhp he said.BUT to get the thing streetable he had to use a smaller front wheel due to handling problems,etc .The stronger clutch springs gave him tendonitis in his left forearm;it's been a difficult build overall.of course the thing hauls butt BIGTIME..If you are interested he has a thread over at NTBF in the 'Mods" or 'Projects' section titled "My Bonnie is Done."
It's an interesting read .

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got any idea what kind of hp & torque the 994 might put out

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
On 2006-12-15 18:48, meatwagon wrote:
I have a friend who has worked with Matt at So. Bay Triumph on his bonnie.He has (I think )the 994 kit ,FCR carbs.Predators,airbox elim.....it puts out about 93/4 rwhp he said.BUT to get the thing streetable he had to use a smaller front wheel due to handling problems,etc .The stronger clutch springs gave him tendonitis in his left forearm;it's been a difficult build overall.of course the thing hauls butt BIGTIME..If you are interested he has a thread over at NTBF in the 'Mods" or 'Projects' section titled "My Bonnie is Done."
It's an interesting read .
Got a link to that thread Meat?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Got a link
sorry wrong link my bad. Meatwagon got the right one.
Meatwagon, you might as well tell them the rest of the story. It will tie in nicely with the thread on Matt's street tracker (the Bonnie killer

[ This message was edited by: MES on 2006-12-15 22:33 ]

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Sorry MES here is the correct thread..MY BONNIE IS DONE
What do you mean ,the rest of the story?Do you mean racing against MattCapri and Carlos up the pasadena freeway?I gave it everything my bike had and was left behind.Those bikes have some serious oomph for normaly aspirated Bonnies.
I have ridden a few times with another guy down here who also has the So Bay 994 kit and FCRs ,it's a really tough sounding set up .You can tell it ain't any where near stock just from the sound.THAT guy wanted to run with the S3s all the way to Ensenada,I slowed down after a while.Those S3s will pull along side you at 90 ,do a wheelie and ZOOM ..gone.
Hope to see you at MVR in a month .I hope my cast is off by then too. :-D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Uummm, Meatwagon, that link you just posted sends you to a post by ccrider about california smog equipment removal.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
sorry about the wrong link.

What do you mean ,the rest of the story?Do you mean racing against MattCapri and Carlos up the pasadena freeway?I gave it everything my bike had and was left behind.Those bikes have some serious oomph for normaly aspirated Bonnies.
Yep, That's what I was talking about.
You told me that you were doing triple didgets(and I believe you :) ) and that they were pulling away.

Guess the story is that Carlos was trying to keep up with Matt and had the thing pegged. He kept it pegged and his engine let go.
Nobody is sure what failed because they haven't opened it up yet.

I really hated to hear that his motor let go. He put a lot of time , effort and cash into that bike and had it hooked up sweet.

sorry to hear about the arm. What happened? Are you still able to work?

Hope to see you at MVR in a month
Toss me a link holmes.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It moved again ,so anyone interested just go to the Customize It folder and scroll down to OCT 18
MES here you go...Mods Vs Rockers 6 Info page
This years ride will be a nice mix of city ,country and seashore.
MES I broke my right hand at work drilling with a heavy duty hole shooter drill.broke my 4th metacarpal in my hand and am in a cast from my knuckles down to my forearm.I have been at work supervising and doing paperwork etc.Only occaisonal heavy lifting. :-D I go back to the doctor Monday and I'm on a plane to FLA on Tues.I hope the cast comes off.It should be off by MVR but I have a Thunderbird I can ride in Fla if I'm able.I also plan on meeting CarlS when there.I'm back on Dec 27.

Not sure what happened to carlos' bike but I think it happened sometime after Hansen Dam.
I had written a post explaining the intent of my first post in this thread(and somehow deleted it).Going up with the Wiseco kit is pretty safe and cost effective....chasing some more HP and an extra 90 cc's gets very expensive,because the stock carbs can't deliver enough fuel and the Mikunis or FCRs are wicked expensive.And when you are done ,sure,you have a 90 + HP bonnie ;great if you are racing in a certain class with other bonnies .But a stock S3 is faster and cheaper as is a turbo equipped bonnie.
I do get a kick out of the Bonneville Performance/British Customs rivalry and wish I could afford either setup,they both have put some serious time and engineering into thier products.

[ This message was edited by: meatwagon on 2006-12-16 15:37 ]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts