Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was 48 degrees in Del Rio this morning when I hit the go button and got nothing. That battery in the SE is a light weight. I had the urban tune installed after the last problem I had in North Carolina. I thought the problem was solved. Gotta get a different battery. Anyway I got a guy to give me a push and she bumpstarted easy.

Off to Big Bend National park. Pictures don't do it justice.

Terlingua, near Big Bend, was an interesting place. A colony of old hippies and free spirits I guess. They have a big Chili cookoff every year.

On the way back north on Hwy 90 I was thinking its been a long time since I bought a matching bag and heels, next thing ya know I ride right past this place.

Its out in the middle of nowhere. I had seen it someplace on the internet a couple years ago, then forgot about it. I was surprised to see it.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sucks about the battery. I hope you get it sorted.

Keep us posted on your trip.
Yeah I hope I do to. It's 42 degrees this morning so I will probably need a bumpstart again. Those Texas roads have eaten up alot of my rear tire, getting a little thin, so I'm getting a fresh rear tire in Pheonix saturday . I'll see what they have for batteries too.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Big Bend is spectacular, glad you're getting a chance to see it... and this is the best time of year to be out there, when it's nice and cool.

Sorry to hear about the battery woes, I had that happen recently, and what I found really surprised me. The charging circuit was marginal, though still working in technical terms, as voltage across the battery at max charge was about 13 volts. So after reading this great write-up on upgrading the regulator/rectifier, and making preparations to do it for myself,
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html
I started checking the charging circuit readings, at various locations and found there was more than a volt drop between the reg/rec and the battery and yet there were no hotspots or obvious poor connections.

To make a long story short, I used this other write-up as reference
http://www.triumphrat.net/daytona-deliberations/68041-weak-charging-system-the-solution.html
and added a fused circiut directly from the reg/rec to the battery. The result was 14-1/2 volts at the battery while charging.

I've been using it like this for several months and it starts more easily and the headlight is brighter. Before the mod, I found the battery was always partially discharged. I bought a NOCO Genius charger and tested and it took 2-3 hours to charge the battery to full capacity after a long ride. I did this test five or six times over a period of two weeks. After the mod, the charge time is a few minutes, and most of that is probably the charger determining the state of charge on the battery.

So generally speaking my charging circuit was holding the battery at what I would guess would have been 75% charge at most, which meant there were problems if the bike didn't start on the first go. Afterward the charging circuit improvement the battery is near 100% at all times.

I know this is a long write-up and you're on the road so you can't really do this right now. But, this is for you and a lot of other people I've seen on the forums who have problems with weak charging systems and marginal starting because of the low voltage threshold of the starting circuit. Oh... and thanks to Zam and DeCosse for their detailed posts on how to fix charging circuit problems!

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Great place Big Bend. I hear that, never been there. Losta open spaces and a nice cantina across the river that you can wade this time of the year.

Great pics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts