Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bonneville has limited access to the area over the valve stem on the rear wheel. Even some 45-degree service station air heads can't achieve the proper angle to pump air into the tire, at least when approached from the side of the wheel.

To get a modern bulky plastic dual-stem bicycle pump head on the rear valve stem is troublesome; I have to maneuver the entire head between the spokes to position it so I can flip the lever to lock it on.

Has anyone found a decent-quality bicycle pump with a head that can EASILY be attached to the valve stem on the rear spoked wheel, i.e. from the side of the wheel instead of threading it between the spokes? :???:

·
Registered
11,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For an inner tube???

·
Registered
380 Posts
I bought a small air compressor (2 hp with 6 gallon tank) for under a hundred bucks just for filling up tires. I was able to find a small fitting for filling tires at the same place I bought my compressor. I got it at harbor freight.

Rick....................

·
Registered
11,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I might eventually get a compressor and a fitting that's not a PIA, if for no other reason than I'd really, really like to blow the dirt out of the spark plug hole before I remove the plug.

In the meantime, is anyone using a bicycle pump that fits easily? The only decent ones I can find have the mega plastic Presta/Schrader head on them.

Maybe this is something that could be marketed to motorcyclists. All we need is a decent pump with a built-in pressure gauge (many are available) and a proper fitting at the end of the hose. Maybe there's a do-it-yourself way of attaching a different fitting?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Same problem for the TBS. This is my solution, small and fits in your toolkit. Just clip it on the valve stem and it'll work anywhere.

Picked up the pieces at an auto parts store - $15. Sorry for the giant image, I was in a hurry when I posted it on my web site.

[ This message was edited by: TBirdVI on 2007-03-14 11:06 ]

·
Registered
11,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, Jhumphrey. I bought a 90-degree valve stem extension from Calmoto in California, which just arrived. I'll try it and decide whether that's less trouble than threading the bicycle pump head between the spokes.

Also, thanks to all for the other suggestions.

If I come across a bicycle pump with a small or angled head, I'll post it here.

[ This message was edited by: Baltobonneville on 2007-04-04 17:51 ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts