Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my bike off for the yearly service yesterday and received this picture from the dealer:

The only accessory I've fitted on my bike is the OEM Sump Guard which has taken quite a beating thanks to lack of proper roads and a flourish of potholes. It has withstood abuse quite well and it's a quality product no doubt. But it doesn't cover the oil filter which I guess is to make access easier, but a bit more force, I would have been stranded, god knows where, with a seized engine.

Is there an aftermarket Sump Guard that covers the oil filter too? SW Motech has a Sump Guard which seems to cover the filter, but I can't find information on the web to confirm if it actually does. Any help appreciated!

And this is the current sump guard with all it's glorious battle scars:

·
Registered
2019 Street Twin
78 Posts
I searched the SW Motech site under 2019 Street Twin and it gave me this part number: MSS.11.667.10001/S This was one of the pictures shown, and although it's on a Scrambler they have the same frame and lots of parts are interchangeable, so it makes sense. It clearly covers the oil filter. Would have to be pulled for servicing, but it looks like you need it!

mss_11_667_10001_s_2_xl.jpg

·
Registered
228 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
I searched the SW Motech site under 2019 Street Twin and it gave me this part number: MSS.11.667.10001/S This was one of the pictures shown, and although it's on a Scrambler they have the same frame and lots of parts are interchangeable, so it makes sense. It clearly covers the oil filter. Would have to be pulled for servicing, but it looks like you need it!

View attachment 737627
When you get down to the frame pieces there are some small differences that will make a lot of the skid plates incompatible between twin and scrambler — especially those that use those frame bolts towards the oil sump. In the case of the skid plate above, that hex head bolt you see on the left isn’t configured like that on a twin because of the low hanging exhaust.

I don’t know if it will work, it may be that something designed for the scrambler will work on a twin but the reverse not being true.

·
Registered
2019 Street Twin
78 Posts
When you get down to the frame pieces there are some small differences that will make a lot of the skid plates incompatible between twin and scrambler — especially those that use those frame bolts towards the oil sump. In the case of the skid plate above, that hex head bolt you see on the left isn’t configured like that on a twin because of the low hanging exhaust.

I don’t know if it will work, it may be that something designed for the scrambler will work on a twin but the reverse not being true.
It's the exact one specified for both the Street Twin and Scrambler, so it will fit.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
got the Tec skid plate for my 19 SS, looks exactly like the overpriced Triumph mod that was fitted on the man cave vid!! + why are you overpaying a stealer for simple oil service!!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
why are you overpaying a stealer for simple oil service!!
Why do you you care?

I sometimes do the same to help maintain a good relationship with the service department. It's payed off for me on a number of occasions.

Some folks may feel they don't have the skill. some may not a proper garage, some may have health issues, etc... Changing oil in a parking lot on a cold day ain't fun. I know that from my experiences many many many years ago when I lived in an apartment. Same can be said when my back is acting up...

Paul

·
Registered
228 Posts

Here’s the SW Motech skid plate. The instructions are wrong yet again because it’s written for the Twin, so you need to make few minor adjustments. No cutting or anything, just moving a few bolts around.

This plate totally covers the oil filter which means removing it to change oil.

I wish it had some side protection because it just doesn’t look all that good without it.

I don’t know...$155 USD shipped for it. Kind of pricey for this. Still a bit lacking but this seems like the most complete system to cover the sump totally.

That space between the frame that is now open could be used for storage but it will get wet, as you can see from the goo beneath there already. This was after a 5 minute ride in light rain.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
the street scrambler "plate" is some sort of plastic + likely not so protective!! the higher $$$ should surely wrap around + be decent metal!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
View attachment 738766 View attachment 738765
View attachment 738767

Here’s the SW Motech skid plate. The instructions are wrong yet again because it’s written for the Twin, so you need to make few minor adjustments. No cutting or anything, just moving a few bolts around.

This plate totally covers the oil filter which means removing it to change oil.

I wish it had some side protection because it just doesn’t look all that good without it.

I don’t know...$155 USD shipped for it. Kind of pricey for this. Still a bit lacking but this seems like the most complete system to cover the sump totally.

That space between the frame that is now open could be used for storage but it will get wet, as you can see from the goo beneath there already. This was after a 5 minute ride in light rain.
Thank you! Looks like SW Motech is the way to go for me. Unfortunately the dealer is out of stock and they're not sure when they'll be restocking. The OEM option suggested by Walko looks good too, but not sure if it'll fit the Street Twin. Need to check that out. Final resort will be to weld a plate over it as suggested by TucoTom.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
the street twin is NOT a scrambler!! + prolly is lower, BUT my SS plastic guard is a bad joke. the filter is almost recessed so you gotta be riding in some rough roads + welding a heavier piece of metal as suggested would be best.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts