Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the 125db replacement horn that's readily available on NewBonniville.com, among other places. However, there's a problem. When I brake hard, the horn is pushed into the forks, and the wires touch the bike frame, making a loud honking sound. In fact, today, I had to emergency brake, and the horn got stuck in the on position! I had taken the bike into the shop a few weeks ago thinking my brakes were squealing. :)

Anyway, I want a replacment horn that's louder than stock, but more similar in size. Anyone know of one?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I also replaced my horn, as I not only wanted it louder but I wanted the low/high horns like my car has. I picked up a set of "LEB" brand horns that were carried by my local bike store, mainly because they had a demo set I was able to try out. The specs don't show the db rating or the current draw, only that a 10A fuse should be used. There's a relay supplied with the horns, a schematic, and thats it - you supply the wire, fuse and holder, push-on crimp/solder connectors, and the labor.
I removed the stock horn, used the existing wires to trigger the relay, and added 16 gauge wire directly to the battery through a 10 Amp inline fuse. They sound pretty cool, too.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I purchased a replacement horn at Autozone for about $16. I believe it is made by Fiamm and is called the "Roadblaster" or something similar to that. If I remember correctly it's 135 dB and basically just plugs in.

Shorty

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I have the horn that you are looking for. It took about 1 minute to install, and it's a direct replacement for the stocker.

I haven't had any problems like you describe, I think it's loud enough even when I wear ear plugs and have loud pipes.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Yes... that's the horn I have installed also. It's about an inch larger in diameter, but not a problem. Good and loud!!!

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I also have the roadblaster, but I mounted it under the gas tank out of sight, but the "horn" part of it faces out from under the front of the tank just on top of the cam cover, you can't see it unless you really look, and you can hear it just fine.

There are threaded holes in the frame rail under the tank, I just fabbed a little bracket out of 1/8'' plate and bolted it right up. Looks clean too, Look ma no horn!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
There was another thread about the New Bonneville horn.

It's a bit bigger and juts down a bit farther than the standard horn, just enough that several of us who have tried it found it smacking into the front fender, as you describe. This happens especially when hitting a bump while braking.

It's possible to mount it so it doesn't short out the way yours does, but the contact problem remains.

I like the improved loudness, but I removed it after a few days before I put more than a very small nick in my beautiful blue fender. I might try to re-think how it should mount and try it again in the spring, or after I upgrade my fork springs.

At least it wasn't expensive. Maybe Brent has some ideas about mounting it so this doesn't happen, since he sells it.

[ This message was edited by: Baltobonneville on 2006-11-22 09:41 ]

·
Registered
241 Posts
I installed that ridesafer horn too. It was quick and easy. It's a bit louder than stock, but more importantly, the sound is less sissy sounding than stock.

·
Registered
547 Posts
yeah, Balto, I've had the same problem with the NB horn, more or less, you can mount it sideways with the original bracket, it doesn't foul anything or short out, but it looks butt-ugly. Sweat, I looked for some way to mount it under my tank, found the two vacant holes, but can't really squeeze it in as far as I can tell - any chance of a photeo of how you did it..? cheers Pat

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been wrestling with this horn thing awhile. Really wanted a loud air horn but there just ain't alot a space to put one unless you remove your airbox and stick it in there like a couple of folks have done. I tried the little Wolo "Bad Boy" (same as the Stebel Nautilus) but couldn't find a good place to put it. Tried where the stock horn is and wound up banging my front fender on it. So here's my current attempt. May not be to many folks taste, but this little sob is the most obnoxious sounding thing I've ever heard on a bike. Which is just what I wanted. I used the Rentec crash bar (from NB) to mount the horn on and made a bracket to hold the compressor to the frame. It's further from the gas tank than it looks in the picture. The horn is a Little Big Horn from howardshorns. com. You also need to buy a relay.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I picked up the Fiamm 130dB today at Advance Auto Parts for $13.
It's just a tad bigger than the stock horn and alittle better looking to me. Wasn't a big fan of the chrome horm. This one is all silver and paintable. I may paint it Satin Black. I looked at the Roadblaster but I saw that it was going to be alittle harder to mount and according to the package it is 132dB, only 2dB louder than the one I bought. I bought the Low Tone model but it still seems pretty high to me. I'm use to the horn on my 1975 Honda which was loud and lower like a car horn. But for $13 you can't go wrong! It is loud!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the advice. I ordered the HK-9, and we'll see how it goes.

I do, unfortunately, have a couple of nicks in my fender where it's smacked into the horn in the past. But I'm going to put a thrux fender on her anyway, so no harm, no foul. ;)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I think the sexiest way to go is a dual tone set-up. Oddly enough, I actually like the way our stock horn looks with it's Black & chrome finish. But if there was a CLEAN way to mount a dual tone, I'd replace the factory horn.

My priority is not so much "LOUD" as it is an attention getter, in fact I don't even use my horn.... if I do, it's to greet friends & pedestrians with a friendly 'meep meep.' If I hafta honk at a car.... then I feel that I allowed myself to get into a compromised position.... my bad, MY fault. I DO however like to rev my loud pipes if I need to get the attention of a cager in town.

I might also add that I CAN'T HEAR these low-tone 125db+ horns that can be had for cheap, and they certainly don't get MY attention!

Well, that's my two-pence worth. Until I find a sexy sounding two tone horn that fits nicely on the bike, I'm sticking with the factory 'meep meep'.....

·
Banned
774 Posts
Okay I'll ask:if the horn that newbonneville sells doesn't really work/fit correctly then why the hell are they selling it? What else are they selling that they claim works for the Bonny but really does'nt?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just the other day I fitted a Stebel Nautilus Compact air horn to my mate's T100. I mounted it by hanging it from the right side headlight bolt. The horn sits under the right turn indicator lamp. The relay is under the fuel tank fitted where the AI used to be.
It is the LOUDEST horn I ever heard.
Don't sound it in the garage... I had earache for two days after.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Akenaten, since you asked:

I bought the New Bonneville long seat bolts. They're nice, but my bike has the rail for the sissy bar, and it's almost impossible to get a finger grip on the bolts with the rail in the way. This defeats their intended purpose.

NB was kind enough to exchange them for the shorter version. I use a long Allen screwdriver to attach and remove them when I swap seats, but they look nice under there and they're an easier reach for the screwdriver than the stock screws. (Both the long and short versions have the 5mm hex head so they can be used with the hex driver.)

Moral of the story: If you have the support rail for the sissy bar or grab rail, think about how easy or hard it will be to grab these bolts with your fingers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts