Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
C Group:

Only my 3rd time at the track and it was better than my last, some minor improvements with comfortability with speed and lean.

I was still engine braking/braking way to early and sometimes rev-matching when I didn't need to, but hey, it's a process.

This wasn't my fastest session, just the most interesting.

Had a great day with fellow riders on the track, and we all got home safe...was a fun time.

·
Premium Member
8,293 Posts
I disagree. If you make improvements, don't crash, and drive away with a smile on your face, it was a great day!

:vroom

·
Registered
344 Posts
My track day goals (in order):
1) Don't hurt myself (or anybody else)
2) Don't hurt the bike
3) Have fun

Meeting all three goals means the track day was a huge success.

BTW, braking early is way better than braking late. I was reading an article about the Yamaha school, saying that was one of their big teaching points. Most people brake too late and too hard, upsetting the bike and making for inconsistent lines. Better to brake early but lighter and carry higher cornering speed. That's what I try to do.

BTW2, if you've got too much engine braking, then try going up a gear. Or play around with the clutch - it's like having a manual slipper.

·
Premium Member
8,293 Posts
My track day goals (in order):

BTW, braking early is way better than braking late. I was reading an article about the Yamaha school, saying that was one of their big teaching points. Most people brake too late and too hard, upsetting the bike and making for inconsistent lines. Better to brake early but lighter and carry higher cornering speed. That's what I try to do.
I almost figured that out the hard way. Long story short: Tried to out brake some into turn 1, and outbraked myself right into the weeds. Thankfully, I kept it upright (Novice tip: if you're going to run off into the grass, don't do it until the afternoon. The dew will be off the grass, and you'll have half a chance of keeping it upright ;) ). Between sessions, I talked to a friend and a coach, and they both told me to brake early and less. It definitely cuts out the panic factor, and gets you into the corner smoother and faster.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Like the others said, everyone and everything home in one piece = good day.
Had fun = great day.
Just to add to the braking subject,a few weeks back I took a novice course taught by one of the first Yamaha racing certified instructors on the east coast. His emphasis was on lines and braking. One point he made was that we needed to learn how and when to use the brakes first, therefore maintaining the proper line.

Like Jack I've missed plenty of apexes by charging a corner and braking late to pass that liter bike who blew by my at 160 on the staight. As a matter of fact yesterday after a session in a mixed group of novice and intermediate riders,I was passing more riders in a lap then I've done in complete days in the past. Well Greg from NYST grabs me after the session and asks how I'm feeling out there?...I wondered why he ask for a moment and " little uncomfortable" was part of my answer.
He said I was trying to hard and thinking to much. Told me he was following me and that I pretty much missed every apex that's why I felt uncomfortable.
We went out together,slowed it down,got me back online and light bulb. Wow so much smoother and faster.

Slow is smooth,smooth is fast.

Try not to forget that,I did. Glad Greg was there to remind me.

Still working on BP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,293 Posts
My day yesterday started out pretty poorly. It was the last weekend for Evolve GT in this area, and it was packed. Things got better in the afternoon. After lunch I asked for an evaluation. It didn't go very well, because the session got red-flagged just as we finally found some open track. The coach told me my lines sucked. I just nodded, but was thinking, "it's pretty hard to maintain any kind of a line when you are having to pass on the outside just about every corner." He told me we'd try again next session. Things worked out better the second try. We found some open track and when we did hit traffic, I just followed him through it - making passes that probably would have gotten me at least a talking to, had I been doing them not behind a coach. In the end I earned the promotion.

The last two sessions in the afternoon were so much better, which per our formula made it a great day. Adding to the enjoyment was meeting Beatle there. We rode together in the morning and shared BS in the paddock all day long.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Heck yeah, it turned out to be a pretty good day at the track. I did have one close call as someone passed with a foot or two of clearance while I was passing someone else, but otherwise it was pretty clean. There was someone else on a Daytona out there in our group. Maybe a ~2010?

Afterwards was not as good, as the starter on my truck failed at the nearby gas station. Ended up staying at a local hotel and paying AAA a ransom to tow my truck to a local shop because I had a bike in the back of it. Just got home and unloaded the bike a few minutes ago.

·
Premium Member
8,293 Posts
Well...that's sucktastic.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Oh...that beatle. I wondered whom you were referring to.
Sounds like it was a crowded track.
I got lucky with not just the weather but it was not crowed in the least. In the afternoon it was damn near empty. I had laps where I'd see one other bike.
This is the lower lot in the afternoon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,293 Posts
Heck yeah, it turned out to be a pretty good day at the track. I did have one close call as someone passed with a foot or two of clearance while I was passing someone else, but otherwise it was pretty clean. There was someone else on a Daytona out there in our group. Maybe a ~2010?

Afterwards was not as good, as the starter on my truck failed at the nearby gas station. Ended up staying at a local hotel and paying AAA a ransom to tow my truck to a local shop because I had a bike in the back of it. Just got home and unloaded the bike a few minutes ago.
To add to the disappointment, photos are here:

https://apexprophoto.smugmug.com/EvolveGTEvents/OCT2324/SundayAll-GroupsMock-Race

There's one entire, whole photo of you so far, and none of me. Hopefully, he's still sorting through them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I saw the same thing. And it's not even a cool picture! I did find a couple of you under the "Unknown" folder, including this one:

https://apexprophoto.smugmug.com/EvolveGTEvents/OCT2324/SundayAll-GroupsMock-Race/Unknown/i-zfvdRKr/A

I also saw a few from our group over on Noiseless Productions' FB page. I think this was the Daytona I "drag raced" a few times coming out of turn 11:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22769781_1251785744922350_5984250900841477615_o.jpg?oh=9327a4c4d7183cd813bbfa8452a3f3cd&oe=5AAB4CA0

·
Premium Member
8,293 Posts
I saw the same thing. And it's not even a cool picture! I did find a couple of you under the "Unknown" folder, including this one:

https://apexprophoto.smugmug.com/EvolveGTEvents/OCT2324/SundayAll-GroupsMock-Race/Unknown/i-zfvdRKr/A

I also saw a few from our group over on Noiseless Productions' FB page. I think this was the Daytona I "drag raced" a few times coming out of turn 11:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22769781_1251785744922350_5984250900841477615_o.jpg?oh=9327a4c4d7183cd813bbfa8452a3f3cd&oe=5AAB4CA0
After I posted the above, I read that Noiseless was the main photog, and the Apex guy was just helping him out sporadically throughout the day. Hopefully, Noiseless will have the full load of photos up in a day or two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts