Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Bonneville T120
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sweet 07 Bonneville but am thinking of giving it over to my wife and buying a Thunderbird Sport - if I can find one, they seem to be quite rare. Why did Triumph ever stop making them? I have always wanted a triple and hear very good things about the Sport. I am sure that is the model I want - better brakes, suspension, more HP than the Legend. Any feedback from TBS owners much appreciated - especially from those who have owned both a Bonnie and a T-Bird. What would you list as the pros and cons of each? Any consensus on the best year for the Sport in terms of performance and reliability - or does it matter? Any weaknesses or things to look for when examining before purchase if I can find one. And finally - any fellow Canucks out there with one for sale? Let me know. A lot easier than buying one in the U.S. and having to bring it across the border. Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
Don't give up looking for a sport. l have just bought a peach after many years. l went to my TOMCC ( south London) after a year away and was introduced to a guy.ln the course of conversation he says he is selling a sport. Just been to see it and even though l have no where to put it l said "done". l'll post some pics when l get it home. He even agreed to put on a new Givi screen and Bonnie fork gaiters. He also fits Legend subframes and seats to them that lowers it down to sub-Thunderbird height! so thats planned too. l bet l cannot sleep tonight ! anyone want to buy a 1968 t100, anyone got spare garage space!.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was on a quest to find a Tbird Sport for over a year when I located one via this site in minty condition (a 98 with 4000 Km on the clock) in Toronto. The TBS is a great bike with a little more aggressive position than a standard Thunderbird, which is what drew me to it.

Like thekeyman said, don't give up. I tripped over my TBS by chance, you won't regret a tipple.

I'm Ottawa so if you need any help or have any questions drop me a note, I've done a bit of work to mine (coils, fork seal rebuild etc) with the help of the guys here and the wealth of info on the site.

Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pros and Cons - TBS 2004

Hi there!

Heres experiences of the 2004TBS; please bear in mind I live amongst the salty roads of Scotland and rode the bike year-round! I had the bike for over 13000 miles over a 4 years period before I traded her in for a Daytona 955i;

PROS
1. Strong bulletproof engine, good torque upto mid range then a jump around 5000 revs
2. Good front brakes that stop well
3. NEVER failed to turn over even when once left stood for a few weeks in winter
4. Easy to service
5. Looks retro
6. Sounds like a Lancaster Bomber when aftermarket ("UK Road Non-Legal") pipes are fitted
7. Comfortable ride with good rear suspension
8. Chain and sprockets barely wore in in 13000 miles

CONS
1. Engine runs flat around 7000 revs and has top speed of 115-120 MPH
2. Front brake discs (Triumph made) need replacing on a regular basis (every 2 years or so) because they warp too easily....
3.Front forks sliders corrode too easily. The laquer began to corrode as soon as I took the bike to the road; the right hand fork was a mess within 500 miles of ownership of the bike and Triumph would not take responsibility for it...
4. Wheel rims corrode far too easily. My front wheel was also easily damaged by a small pothole in the road which would have unlikely to have damaged cast wheels.
5. Airbox has to be butchered in order to be able to change the air filter. This is because Triumph sell the airbox as a complete unit.
6. Fork tubes began to pit after 3 years.
7. The brake pressure switch needed changing on a yearly basis as it kept failing.
8. Repalcement parts are too expensive and are now getting rare
9. Triumph Accessories are now very rare...single seats are nno longer made by Triumph and go for a fortune on Ebay.
10. Headlamp body became sub-tarnished and rusty within 1 year.
11. Mirrors corrode too easily.
12. Front suspension is too soft, and dives too easily under hard braking.
13. Wooden rear brake.
14. flasher unit on left hand handlebar control failed after 2 years.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2018 Bonneville T120
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback so far. Appreciate it. Keep that info coming my fellow Ratters!

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
How far in Canada are you will to go and what price range?

·
Registered
2018 Bonneville T120
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again - testing to see if my avatar signature works

Hope my signature with avatar pic of my 07 Bonnie works - testing

·
Registered
411 Posts
l have just bought a Sport off of a TOMCC club member and what he doesn't know about them is not worth knowing. He has bonnie gaiters on his and no pitted tubes, so hes doing them for me too. There are plenty of anti rust produces out there, just use them. l stick to wd40 and never, and l mean , never wash my bikes, just rub them with a wd40 soaked rag. For shows, l use some spray wax and new clothes. l also have a small Givi screen on and that is good for a extra 5-7 mph and less strain. l know that they are no match for a new naked but they do look a bit rich!.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts