Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not about Ferraris or Porsches or the usual unaffordable rubbish that dickheads like Clarkson rant on about but about real time affordable cars, that we owned or grew up in. There are members on here that are living all over the world and members (like myself) that are also living in countries that they weren`t born in, so there will be a lot of different answers.

This is mine. The Ford Cortina mk4. This was the first ever car in the UK to be not only fast (in it`s day) but also good looking and reliable. The 1.6 and 2.0 Pinto engines were a revelation to the British motorist compared to the British and Euro rubbish (Austin/Rover, Renault, Simca and Audi) on offer at the time. Yes, that`s right, even Audi was a unreliable old junker when the mk4, ruled the streets. the British cars on offer at the time like the Allegro and the Princess, were quite frankly embarrassing, both in looks and performance, compared to the Cortina. I am also a big 'Capri' fan, too!

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
1989 Chevrolet Caprice

1989 Chevrolet Caprice.

Same car used in the 1980s & 1990s as police cars & taxi cabs in the US.

We put over 251,000 mostly hard miles on it in about a dozen years and it never gave us a problem. Aside from routin maintenance, the only part that was ever replaced was a water pump. It had power, comfort and tons of room. WIth a V-8 you could get in the mid to high 20s in MPG.

The best car we ever owned, followed closely by my 2001 Chevy Silverado pickup truck.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
The much maligned Ford Pinto.....I bought one when I was an Airman. It was a good price and the problem with the gas tank was corrected in 1978. Not a lot of power but it did okay for a four cyclinder. (My R3 has a bigger engine:D)

The one I had was green.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Sorry, no pic. :(

I used to hike with a woman in BC who drove her Civic CVCC (a '79, I think) to over 300,000 miles (not km)!

When I first arrived in Vancouver, I was very unimpressed with that little car. But it got us (sometimes four of us, and gear) to trailheads everywhere, got her to work everyday, and just kept on running. Talk about return on your money!

I told her she should report it to Honda, and offer it for an ad.

It wasn't fast or pretty, but it gave a working woman big return for her investment. Oh, and great gas mileage, too.

·
30,296 Posts
Reliant Robin three wheeler. Let you drive a car :biglaugh: on a motorbike licence.

No go, terrible handling, tipped over at a moments notice or if anyone passed wind nearby, cheap.

As used by Trotters Independent Traders:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
So far, my 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser has been a great car! It has the 2.4L 4 cylinder with 4 speed od/auto and I get 40mpg on the highway. It is roomy on the inside with lots of headspace, legroom and when the rear seats are folded down, or taken out, a huge amount of cargo space.
It is a great car and is almost a small utility van!

·
Banned
2,152 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I bought this 2000 Ford Focus MP3 for my youngest son when he went to college. We added the wheels, tint, and exhaust as a birthday present before he left. He's still driving it and it has over 150K on the clock and gets +30 mpg. Best small car I've never owned. :D

My first small car was this...

It blew up with no warning with 83K on the clock, but it would return +45 mpg all the time. It just didn't like +80 mph.

·
30,296 Posts
Well my best working man car is actually my Dodge Dakota pickup, I have had 3, they have all been faultless. Only the first one (a 1988) gave me any trouble, and that was mainly through cartwheeling it after hitting a patch of black ice on top of a bridge.

Plus I can use it to go and collect my new motorized bicycles when I get them!

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Rob, that Mark 4 Cortina came out in Australia with a 4.0 litre 6 under the bonnet out of the same era Ford Falcons.

This is what my father had in the late 70s, a 1969 Valiant Pacer - 225ci Hemi slant 6 with 3 speed on the floor. It was then the poor mans GTHO and when the 1970 245ci came out was almost as quick. Modern Motor in May, 1969 took a VF Pacer sedan to 60mph (100km/h) in a respectable 10.5secs, the quarter-mile in 17.5secs and topped out at 178km/h. In the 1970 Bathurst 500, they came 4, 5 and 7 outright and won their class for cars under $4,100AUD.

Below is the standard Regal version.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
here's mine...

I know the Thunderbird was not a "workingman's car," but it's old so I have to do a lot of wrenching to keep it working, man.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Reliant Robin three wheeler. Let you drive a car :biglaugh: on a motorbike licence.

No go, terrible handling, tipped over at a moments notice or if anyone passed wind nearby, cheap.

As used by Trotters Independent Traders:

My Uncle had one of these. I remember it didn't have a reverse gear, so he had to get my Aunt out of the car to push it backwards. Also you had to lift the bonnet,put your leg through to kick start it. Makes me LOL to remember it!!

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
My Uncle had one of these. I remember it didn't have a reverse gear, so he had to get my Aunt out of the car to push it backwards. Also you had to lift the bonnet,put your leg through to kick start it. Makes me LOL to remember it!!

Yes I remember people doing that, it looked like they were going to climb into the engine ! Extremely funny. As they had no reverse gear you could drive one with a motorcycle licence, essentially that's all they were with a body around it and an extra wheel.

Mr Bean had an on-going feud with those Reliants.

---------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
Rob, that Mark 4 Cortina came out in Australia with a 4.0 litre 6 under the bonnet out of the same era Ford Falcons.
I had one of the TE series 6Cyl Cortinas and my dad had a later TF model.
I also had a 2.0 ltr TE Cortina as a company car.

All great cars in their day.

I read somewhere that there where more TE and TF Cortinas sold as fleet cars for salesman that any other car of that era.

It has also been reported that there have been more kids conceived in the back of a Cortina than any other car. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
I had one of the TE series 6Cyl Cortinas and my dad had a later TF model............

It has also been reported that there have been more kids conceived in the back of a Cortina than any other car. :rolleyes:

I suppose your Dad told you that one ? :p ....and you've been trying to get back into one ever since !

--------------
Ride on ! :D

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
my dad's first car

1963 VW (not actual photo)

I still remember that car: how the plastic weave in the seats cut into your skin. He had a toy steering wheel attached to the back of his seat, and I used to think I was driving.

All VW drivers used to wave at each other at that time.

After another VW he had one of these: Vauxhall Victor 2000 in aqua-starmist. I still remember the number plate: SNF 849k.
It was able to ft 5 kids in the back and tow a 16' caravan. Setting out on holidays my dad would light up a stonkin' great big cigar that would last a couple of hours. Non of us had seatbelts, and we would fight in the back if someone accidentally touched you going round a corner.

The inclined 4 cylinder was half a chevy V8 engine.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I remember Mk4 Cortinas. Some local twat used one to wreck my bike. I was riding it at the time. Only had it three days. Good job it was only my (intended) winter hack.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
I used to rally Minis back in the 70's and then use it as my commute during the week as well. Ended up with 4 Minis in bits and variuos states of repair.

A group of us prentended to be serious !!

Great car - they went like a shower of ****, when they went. :)

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
1989 Chevrolet Caprice.

We put over 251,000 mostly hard miles on it in about a dozen years and it never gave us a problem. Aside from routin maintenance, the only part that was ever replaced was a water pump. It had power, comfort and tons of room. WIth a V-8 you could get in the mid to high 20s in MPG.
Silverado.. I have a white 1989 Chevy Caprice.....Everyone i know gives me a hard time for still owning it. I love the car, leather interior.. plenty of room ..and like you said, never gives you problems. It only cost me $325. a year to keep it on the road,she's getting kinda shop worn though. What i'd give to be on that show "You've been Overhauled". It's basically my winter beater, and sits in the driveway the rest of the year.I have two F-350 flatbed V-10's that kill me on gas and a F-150 the significant other comondered for her own. None as compfortable as the Caprice....!:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts