Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently aquired a Thruxton seat and cowl, only problem is the cowl is blue, and my bike is black.

I'm not wanting to really spend any money on painting the thing, and I think I remember seeing spray paint at Home Depot that was made for painting plastic.

I've spray painted plenty of parts before with decent success, so I'm not opposed to using the ol' rattle cans.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

I'll probably sand it with a 400ish grit to rough it up a little then hit it with some glossy black, thoughts?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Machine - I'd use 800-1000 grit if all your going to do is paint right over the existing. Use 400 if your going to prime - then sand the primer with 1000. Use wax and grease remover (alcohol) and a tack rag. Wait for a calm morning when there is very little dust flying and spray away. Don't do it in direct hot sun, paint will dry too fast and not flow well over the cowl leaving orange peel in the finish. JCW

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Sweat,

I just painted some airtech fenders.

these came unfinished, so my prep was fairly minimal. If your cowl doesn't have any chips/dings/gouges/surface imperfections, this process should work fine.

Here's what I did:

- Wet sand with 1200 grit
- dry sand with 1200
- clean it up good
- hit it with 2-3 coats of primer (10 minutes between coats)
- let it dry overnight
- wet sand with 1200
- dry sand with 1200
- clean it up good
- hit it 3-4 coats of gloss black (again, 10-15 minutes between coats)
- let it dry overnight
- hit it with a good polishing compound

I used regular old Krylon interior/exterior. Like a moron, I sprayed it outside and ended up with slight orange peel because of the breeze. But from 3 feet away, it looks great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts